Escaped Convict

"Death is the one predator we can't escape. But vampires have found the loophole so many of us crave. I think that is the allure of vampirism."
—Sherrilyn Kenyon

Claire's POV

I groan as the sunlight rays peak through the window, ivory curtains not enough to shield me. It was a lot more sun than usual, that is what peaked my interest. I opened my eyes and winced as my pupils were exposed to the harsh rays. After quickly closing my eyes, I slowly opened them and let my eyes adjust to the bright light. I looked around. There were two windows. When did I get another window installed in my room? Oh yeah, I didn't. I looked at the walls and saw them beige, the same color as the room that I'm staying in. All in all, the room looked kinda the same, but it was bigger. It had way more windows too. But, nonetheless, that's not what fazed me. No, what fazed me was the fact that I felt body heat behind me. I stilled my breathing and turned to look behind me.

Atticus in the flesh was resting behind me. My eyes widened in horror.

"What the flipping horse stacks is-" I was cut off by the door opening suddenly, creating a loud 'bang'. Atticus opened his red dialated eyes and they landed on me, and then shifted to what was behind me. He immediately sat up as I turned my head to see a guy, in his mid twenties look dazed and frightened. He also had fangs.

"TROLLS IN THE DUNGEON!" he roared as Atticus looked wide awake. The mans frightened face stilled and slowly morphed into an amused one. He then proceeded to laugh. Atticus scowled and glared at the man. (Harry potter reference haha :b)

"Valdus, you idiot, what the hell do you want?" Atticus asked, eyes still flaming red. I gulped at the icy tone Atticus used. Valdus took it as a joke and gave Atticus a grin. But as soon as that grin came, it quickly sobered up as a look of rememberence made its way onto his face.

"There's an escape convict my lord." Valdus stated, bowing his head slightly as Atticus wrinkled his face in what looked like anger. He sighed and put a hand over his face, trying to control his anger as he glanced at me quickly.

"Which one?" He asked, tone deadly this time. Valdus visibly shrunk under his 'lords' powerful gaze. At first, Valdus didn't seem to fear Atticus, but now, he was practically shaking and I pitied him.

"Celmira." The once brave and friendly looking Valdus whispered, now frightful. I looked at Atticus with wide eyes as his fangs grew longer and he jumped out of bed, shirtless, and out the door, dragging a shaking Valdus with him.

"Stay here." Atticus demanded with an all serious tone. He shut the door. I hadn't even realized what he had said until the door made a locking sound. I was too focused on his tattoos that looked sort of tribal. As soon as I was snapped out of my daze I blushed like a madman.

"You aren't even gonna tell me how I got here?!" I called out, but of course, he was already gone. I huffed and let my angry state take over as I got up off of the bed, more like stumbled, and kicked the wall in fury.

"Ohhh shi-crap!" I yelled out, hopping on one foot as I grasped my injured toe. I sat back down on the bed and waited for my toe's pain to numb down, or at least for the pain to lessen to a throbbing level. 'Way to go Claire, you've expressed your almighty fury by hurting yourself .' I thought as I groaned in frustration. I looked down and sighed in relief. The good thing is, that I'm still in the same thing I was wearing last night. But what happened last night? Its all such a blur.

I tugged on my hair, frustrated that I didnt have any pins to put my hair up with. I've been gone already for about four or five days. I know that my family put a reward up with what Atticus told me, but nobodies found me yet. I sighed and shook my negative thoughts out of my head, which is nearly impossible when you've been kidnapped.

I walked over to the door which I hoped was a bathroom and opened it. Pleased to say that my assumptions were right but I didn't have anything to wear and wash myself with. Maybe I could expierament? I walked back to Atticus's room and opened one of his drawers to find underwear. I shielded my eyes and snickered a bit, my immateur side peaking through. I closed it quickly and opened the others. There I found v-necks and jeans. Man, he owned a lot of v-necks.

I then opened another one and found sweatpants and joggers that he probably used for working out purposes than TV marathons like I did. I grabbed a pair of joggers and a v-neck and went into the bathroom, locking the door in the process. I then opened one of the closet doors and found some towels and brand new toothbrush packets. 'Well, I guess he likes to keep his fangs sparkling like the rest of his Cullen body' I snickered at my lame attempt of a joke.

As I got out of my clothing that I had been wearing for the past four or five days, I turned on the shower. Of course I had a little trouble and ended up turning on the cold water instead of the hot water. I yelped. I took some of his men's wash and rubbed it in my hair, massaging my scalp. I let out a sigh of contempt and frowned a bit. I wonder who Celmira was, Atticus did not seem happy at all with the news.

Escaped convict? Were they keeping people locked up like they have me? Was he running a slave company?! My eyes shot open in fear and I winced a little as some of the body wash got into my eyes.

As I finished my shower and got dressed, my thoughts wouldn't stop wandering to Atticus's furious expression and how his back muscles tensed as he told me the one command. 'Stay here.' He didn't look back, didn't stutter, and didn't soften his voice. Everything about him was tense and cold. This Celmira must be a real troublemaker or something to get Atticus so angry. Or maybe what angered him was the fact that one of his slaves escaped and would tell the world what was going on here. I'm free? I grinned as I exited the bathroom, running a towel through my brown locks of hair.

I stopped in my tracks as I saw something or someone that made my stomach churn with fear. The redhead from the night when I woke up chained on the bed was sitting gracefully on Atticus's bed. 'You know you shouldn't play with your food.' Her words rang in my head.

She was covered in dirt and had broken chains covering her wrists and ankles. She gave me a toothy smile, showing off her brilliantly white fangs as I shuddered.

"Hello delicious." She purred as I froze.

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

Question- why is this vampire book different ? ❤