A grocery list

The funeral wrapped up quickly after the discovery of the egg, Atticus almost seemed too antsy around so many of his people. His trust was diminishing after the stunt that Valdus pulled- he'd hoped he wouldn't take that lost trust out on his people. The pearl white egg taking up space in his hands was enough to give him confirmation that he could heal- he just needed to wait now. He walked into her room that she was originally held captive in- it didn't seem appropriate for her now that he really knew her. She was more like a flower mural in a grey room- not these boring pale walls. He'd have someone come fix the interior in this room, along with adding some shelves for her to catch up on reading.  Would she like a couple books about fire? Potions? Or would she want other things like fiction? Well, now the fiction would seem real to her seeing as she's in a world built off of those fictional creatures.

                   He'd just have to ask her once she hatched- whenever that was. The hatching process for a phoenix could last for days, weeks, years, centuries even. But he had the patience to wait before he met her- He'd have the patience now.

                  Would she feel more comfortable with things from her old room in the mortal realm in her mothers house? Knick knacks that remind her of home, even some books that she hadn't gotten the chance to finish- he recalled she had a couple of those. He had a reoccurring idea since they had visited her old home- would she like it if her mother came for a visit? He realized that she had control problems with her mother- and she didn't know how to stand up for herself yet, but that facility showed otherwise. Maybe this is what she needed to grow as a person- to finally stand up to her mother. Not to argue, but to have a lovely visit- and if her mother tries to force her to do something, Claire wouldn't be spineless about it. Her confidence would boost up, and she wouldn't feel intimidated of having a conversation with her mother because of being bossed around.

                     He knew this is what she needed, but he wondered- 'would she be pissed at me?'

                  That's if she even hatched in her mothers lifetime, but he had hope that she would. 

         He even spent time wondering if she would hatch the same. Most tales that he had heard of this happening in the dimensions (rare to this date, but still happened) they said the person almost never looks the same. He wasn't worried about appearance, but it would be a problem if she came out a nine year old. He felt helpless as he propped the glossy egg onto her silk pillow. But then again, there are tales of the phoenix hatching to look like ones soul- and he wondered deeply what hers looked like. Her curiosity, and personality were like no other, but he couldn't help it but to feel nervous about the situation. The sun was starting to lower, and he figured that it was time to get a move on with preparations for her return- including her mother. Atticus ran his hands through his hair and let out a sigh.

                  "Ansel!" he barked the wolf guard's name, although he knew that they would still hear him if he had whispered it.

                 He heard footsteps make their way quickly towards Claire's room, and within seconds, there stood the towering yet skimpy Ansel.

              Ansel bowed and averted his eyes from the egg, he was nervous to be around him- Atticus could tell.

               The wolf in him shuddered away at the presence of the vampire king, feeling the mayhem that could break loose at any moment if the king wished it. Poor Ansel had just started his first week as a guard- what an honor it was to be directly called forth by the king. But he was scared shitless too- usually first week starters need to work their way up from guarding the grounds and escorting imported goods from other dimensions. Ansel thought to himself, 'what did I do wrong?'

             Atticus knew that this was a big task at hand, and to trust someone new with his Claire- oh that would be unspeakable. But he couldn't shake this feeling of trust knowing that this skimpy pup had no malice in him. Not enough malice in him to betray the king, anyway. But he did in fact have enough strength in his wolf to protect, if it came to that. Plus, his number one trusted guard Thuntris was away at the war camps training newborn vampires at this time.

                 "I have something I need to step out for- I need to know that I can trust you with this task." Atticus spoke in a deadly serious tone. Ansel straightened up quickly and nodded eagerly.

                   "Of course, my king- my life is yours." Ansel blurted out, excitement bubbling in his veins. Atticus opened his mouth to tell him his task, Ansel leaned forward desperate to hear what the king would be entrusting him with. The guys back at training camp would be so jealous. Atticus paused, but then spoke after a moments consideration.

                  "I need you to find me a pen and a piece of paper. I have a grocery list that I need to write very urgently." Atticus held eye contact with Ansel. The boy almost deflated right then and there. 'A grocery list?!' Ansel thought to himself. Oh what a joke the other guys would make out of him back at the camp, he didn't know whether to laugh- or to cry. Disappointment was an understatement. He had hoped he'd be doing something heroic- not sniffing around like a blood hound for a pen! His shoulders slumped as he tried to hide his disappointment.

                    "Yes your majesty, I will be right back." Ansel almost tripped turning around, Atticus almost snickered right then and there- it was the first time in weeks that he had even felt humor at a situation. He did need to make a grocery list for what Claire and her mother would eat, so he would need Ansel to get that for him- but he also needed him to guard the precious egg. Atticus just couldn't help but to mess around with a new trainee. Before the boy left out the door to find a pen Atticus spoke up again.

                  "And after I write that grocery list.." Ansel paused in his footsteps and looked over his shoulder with hope, his large greyish blue eyes wide.

                "I will need you to guard my Claire for me. I need to step out for a little and need her egg to be protected at all costs. Can I trust you to keep quiet about this task and keeping her safe?" Atticus finished. Ansel beamed a toothy grin.

                   "Of course your majesty, anything for you, and for her majesty." He bowed even lower this time out of excitement. The corner of Atticus's lip twitched upwards for a second.

                  Now, the bigger task was at hand for him.

          How would he get Claire's mother to come into a new dimension?

*

*

*

*

*

*