Shadows Looming

Claire's POV

             I start to run my fingers through my hair in boredom, trying to at least get the puffy knots out. It was frustrating, not knowing if I chose the right path, but the poptarts were worth the frustration. Stop kidding yourself, you know who you really want to see— and it isn't pop tarts.

              Merlin, the old man was telling me that I wasn't on earth. He called this place 'Holdrex'. What's the point of running from Atticus if I'm probably not in the same dimension as my family? Although, Merlin did mention something about a way out. If there was a way to get home— did I really want to go back? To see my mother? She's probably really worried right now, and if I went back I'd be in so much trouble for disappearing. Do I really want to face that wrath?

             I sigh in irritation, noticing that all the information I'd been given sounded as if it had been pulled straight out of a mythical book. Not only that, but it also made little sense to me— he hadn't explained who was after me or why I was even being targeted in the first place. Cheap old man, stingy with his information. I blow a raspberry in frustration and stumble a bit over what I assume are large twigs. I glance downwards to find a few bones here and there, large glistening yellow bones. More specifically human bones. I shudder and took a step back, caution already starting to flare up my senses.

           Maybe this wasn't the right path, I don't think Atticus has piles of bones in his backyard or anything. I look up to watch my surroundings as I walk further and further down the path, the darkness following me through the woods. Squinting to see better, I figure that it was no use. The pitch dark enveloped my surroundings and it felt as if morning had turned to nighttime. I need my phone. Yeah well, no shit Sherlock.

No, I didn't need my phone, I needed what my phone could give me. I need my mother. I rubbed a hand down my face in frustration, trying to think of a way to find where Atticus lived. Maybe if I tried hard enough, my asshole finder would go off and I could find my way to Atticus. Why was I even looking for him? Because he could provide shelter that was well needed, and he wasn't very concerned on killing me at the moment. At least that would give me some time to think of a plan to find the escape route out of Holdrex. Or maybe enough time to figure out how to contact Merlin again. Maybe he only comes when I'm close to death experiences? I'm too much of a wussy to test that theory out.

Thoughts of not going back to Atticus and just becoming cave woman ran through my head. I knew for a fact that I wouldn't be able to survive at least three days out here. Thoughts of what Merlin warned me of ran through my head. 'The important part is that you get out of there before the find you.' Before who finds me?

I was better off not thinking about it, it would only make me even more curious and confused. I stopped in my tracks at the sight in front of me. I was definatley not going in the right direction. The path went steeper and transformed into a hill, but that's not what I was looking at. No, I was looking at a bunch of crashed planes and sunken ships, with people. But those people, they were missing everything from their bodies except for the bones. They were dead.

                         "Holy mother of god." I stuttered as I took a step back, and stepped into someone's arms. I yelped and jumped away, looking back to see a smiling Valdus. Trolls in the dungeon guy.

                       "Hey! Your that harry potter reference guy!" I exclaimed, pointing an accusing finger at him. He chuckled.

                        "I'm a kings knight, but yeah that too." He snickered as I furrowed my eyebrows.

                          "What are you doing here?" I questioned him. He raised his hands in mock surrender.

                              "I'm here to help you. Atticus was throwing a princess tantrum and was getting ready to massacre everyone, but I calmed him down. I was sent to retrieve you." He explained as I looked at him suspiciously.