Free Bird

Claire's POV

The veil is starting to fade between worlds.

The veil separating reality- and death. Was this how it felt to fade out of existence entirely? I can't bring myself to feel any fear, in the end I fought for what I believed in- and that's what matters. My purpose was fulfilled, I'm glad I had a purpose at all. Would they remember my name and who I was? Would Atticus think of me in a thousand years and smile at my memory, or would I just be that? A distant fading memory that nobody cared to remember- or even want to remember.

Nevermind thinking that way. I want my last moments to be happy, and exciting. So instead, I bring myself to think of who I was before. Hot summer days playing in the field, tall glasses of lemonade with my childhood maid, Bertha. I always did wonder what happened to her, I just assumed mother fired her and I was too terrified to ask why. That's who I was. A terrified little girl with no backbone who took that fear into adulthood. A girl who'd rather read books on my white fur rug next to my bookshelves about activism and human rights- but was too scared to speak up and fight for what I believed in. So, instead, I just read about the strong women and men who weren't like me. They weren't scared of anything, and I was always in awe.

Not to mention I also read about fantasy- monsters with eight eyes who crawled on all fours, and others like something so simple. A vampire.

I never really thought that a vampire could be anything but that- a bloodthirsty monster who could be seductively evil. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever even think that those monsters could be real, or that a vampire would be the one to bring me out of my fear of the world. Of living. Of dying. Of fighting for what and who you believed in and what was right. In the end, I can gladly say that I wasn't that little girl scared shitless of her mother, and needing direction because I couldn't think for myself. In the end, I brought a facility down from the inside like a damn badass, and I died fighting. So yes, if I had any ghost Casper friends, I would gladly tell them that I was dragged out of life kicking and screaming for the lives of innocents.

Surprisingly, there aren't any ghosts over here, I'm all alone. Its the strangest thing- all I see is darkness. I cant move freely, but I still have a conscience. I still feel the emotions I had when I was alive- and I feel warm all over. In fact, the heat is what's comforting me at the moment. I don't think I would be able to take being trapped with my annoying ass thoughts of life and Dwayne Johnson while sitting in the cold. That would be a nightmare. Except for the Dwayne Johnson thoughts. Those are just tragedies.

                      Everything is hot, and I have a weird sensation running through me that's thick like honey-- and energizing. It makes me want to run a marathon if I could- if I had the legs to do it. What do I have right now? No body- a conscience that runs a mile a minute- and some stale ass pop tarts in the kitchen cabinet of my past like that I've left to those I loved most dearly. What of the people we saved? We took the entire facility down- yet I have no idea what they're doing now. Are they happy?

              Did Adele and her father Merlin reconcile? What of the blue eyed alpha who lost his mate? Would he ever be able to live in peace and happiness ever again? What of my fire soldiers? Was Atticus feeding them coal like he should? Or did they just die right along with me? So many questions that were unanswered, it sucked that I died such a curious person. Now I have to live with this curiosity-- well-- I guess die with it. Live in the afterlife, spiritually.

Man, I could really go for some buffalo wings right now.

                  Would I be considered a buffalo wing? I mean buffalo is technically like a kick-- spicy. Hot- fuego, right? And I have wings. So I'm a cute ass buffalo wing.

               Wow. I've died just so that I can realize my true potential. A buffalo wing. Does that make me a cannibal because I want to eat buffalo wings?

             Before I could keep thinking anymore stupid thoughts-- I hear something. It's sudden, but I catch it. I mean it was kinda hard not to catch it.

                  "Achoo!" Someone sneezes.

              Well whoopty fucking doo- Casper the ghost has allergies in guessing. Before I can think of anymore lame jokes, the heat intensifies. I'm getting excited. I'm not alone. Some fucker sneezed and that was all the proof I needed.

                 I can't talk. My mouth is parched and I can't feel my lips- if I've even brought any to the afterlife. What if I'm just a skull? What if I have no lips? What if I have no eyeballs? Well, there's a pleasant thought. I sure know how to comfort myself in times of despair. But I mean- was I sad? Was I sad that I died? All I have are regrets of what I didn't do. Maybe whoever just sneezed also relates.

                     I feel paralyzed in a sense. Like when sleep paralysis takes you over and you try to fight the unknown to be able just to move your fucking toes. Yeah, that feeling of helplessness. The feeling of not feeling anything- but knowing it's there. You just have to try hard enough to move- and then maybe you'll move.

                  I take this into consideration. What if this is exactly like sleep paralysis? What if all I have to do is try hard enough-- what if all I have to do is just try. The only time you can actually fail is if you give up. That's what fitness people say, right?

                 So I try. I try to do anything really- I put my focus into moving my hand, if I have any. I think it, I try it, and I believe it. Like fucking tinker bell.

                  I get frustrated a couple times, and I can feel myself grow tired of the constant force and strain that I'm putting on my mind. But I have to do this. I have to try to move somehow. If I don't- maybe I'll be in this darkness-- this shifting veil forever.

                   So I try one more time. I think of all my friends that I've left behind-- all of the amazing people and creatures that I've grown to love overtime-- and I draw strength from them.
Then I start to feel it. I'm moving! But my arm is blocked by a wall. Why is there a wall in the afterlife? I so badly want to see something other than darkness- anything. Like this crisp curiosity in my brain that won't go away. Like a toddler learning things for the first time- I have to know. Because if I don't find out now- then when?

I take my arm and manage to push at the wall. Everything feels goey- like I'm drifting in liquid. I take a strong push at the wall- and then another. I keep going until I feel it somewhat giving in. But then it happens. I hear a loud sound.

Crack!

With almost a crunch in a sense- the wall breaks.

"Oh shit." I hear a male voice say as light filters within where I am. The light exposes my arm- or what I thought was an arm. It's a wing. A fucking furry little wing. Like one of those wings that those little canaries have that they sell at petco. Except mine is orange.

Oh shit indeed.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH this book is almost over- I would say like maybe ten chapters left and that's why I'm procrastinating so much. I don't want it to end :( oh also-- I have a baby now !!! She's four months and a cutie ! If y'all wanna see her and me follow me on Instagram @Gleishaa I post cute baby pics hahahahaha

But anyways, poor Ansel the werewolf guard lmao I can't wait for what's to come. What do you guys think is gonna come next ? I hope none of y'all guess what I'm planning to do-- ahhhhhhhh this is exciting. I'm pumped for this man

I'll see you guys next chapter !! I hope all is well with you guys-- and I hope you enjoyed this chapter !!!

READ

VOTE

COMMENT !!!!!!!