When Midnight Strikes

Claire's POV

          My dreams were filled with chaos and torture. Though, I didn't remember much of it when I woke up- I just recalled Celmira's haunting face giving me a wicked smile. I remember the screams of the alpha that I had saved in the facility- the lifeless face of his mate lying on that cold metal slab. I wonder what his name was- I never got a chance to ask him. He looked like an Adam, but I guess now I'll never know. Or I'll find out- but maybe in the distant future.

I awake with a metallic taste in my mouth and my throat dry. I scrunch up my nose in disgust and wipe my eyes. I realize that I never changed into a nightgown- but I guess that ship had sailed already. I glance at the door that leads to an adjoining bathroom- I know that because I've already explored all of the guest rooms. They each have the same layout. I scratch my scalp and wobble over to the bathroom with a full bladder.

I glance in the mirror and check my messy appearance- it's mainly my puffy eyes and hair that goes in five different directions that make me look like a crackhead from downtowns. I strike a pose with a daunting smile.

"Hey there sexy." I blow a kiss at myself and wink. The bathroom had florescent lighting- enough to let me know that I still looked ugly when I wake up, no matter how charming I tried to be. I sigh and sit on the toilet to pee- glancing to the side just to realize that there was no toilet paper. I groan and palm my forehead.

"Fuck." I curse. The only thing left to do was to take a quick shower, and then head downstairs for a snack. Snacking usually helped with my bad dreams, especially with shaking off that feeling of dread that usually didn't go away for a good thirty minutes.
I flush the toilet and see that there's a large towel hanging on the door- perfect. I turn on the warm water- hot water usually makes my face and body break out. That quality of mines is usually annoying in the winter- when all I want to do is enjoy a hot, steamy shower.

I wash my hair and massage my scalp, this shower seemed to be the most therapeutic thing that's happened to me all day. Soaking up my body and then washing myself- I touch my skin, making sure that the soap didn't make it too dry. As soon as I was squeaky clean I hop out of the shower to dry myself with the towel hanging on the door. It's a fluffy white towel that smells like downy softener. I close my eyes and inhale the scent.
The first thing that comes to mind is the prophecy.

"War and destruction will be abrupt when- ice and flame, paired one in the same." I whisper to myself while patting my hair dry. Immediately it snaps in my mind.

"Darkness- shade- shade can be cold. Could darkness be ice?" I mutter under my breath. My eyes widen like disco balls.

"Could it be that when me and this 'darkness' pair up together— war will come?" I start to chew on my bottom lip again, a bad habit of mine whenever I get nervous. I vaguely recall Atticus mentioning war growing in Holdrex- but this was a while ago. This was at my moms estate, the whole reason we came back to Holdrex was because Atticus had some 'business' to attend to-involving a war.

Atticus has to know what war the prophecy is talking about. I have to ask him about this.

Am I the new Nancy drew or am I just piecing things together that don't make any sense? I groan as I finish drying myself up. I wrap the towel around my body and decide to push the prophecy to the back of my mind completely until there's at least sunlight. I slip some slippers on and walk out into the hallway, making my way down to the kitchen.

My sandals make a click clack sound as I walk through the dark hallways. It's a bit creepy, seeing as usually the torches are out illuminating the halls- all there is to illuminate the halls are the large floor to ceiling windows casting in the light of the moon. I glance out into the forest filled with green- and think back to a time when I ran through those woods after Celmira had 'taken' me. I look away and take her out of my mind- I don't want to think about that monster.

I jog down the marble stairs and finally reach the kitchen, tightening my towel as I walk towards the fridge. I hope Atticus had yogurt- and maybe some water. As I look through his fridge, I come to realize that it's fully stocked with human foods, making me smile to myself.

I grab a chilled water bottle and a large tub of strawberry yogurt; it's like the fridge read my mind. More like Atticus. I laugh to myself and roll my eyes, uncapping the water. I chug it down and then slam it onto the counter. Grabbing a spoon, I turn to face the kitchen island and stools- and nearly shit myself.

I let out a light gasp as the tub slips out of my thin fingers.

A pair of crimson red eyes illuminate the doorway in the dark- and I instantly recognize them. I chuckle nervously as I bend down to pick up the yogurt tub- luckily it hadn't opened and splashed everywhere like I had expected it to.

"You scared me Atty." I tease him with his pet name as I put the yogurt on the island counter. I try to open the container and bite my lip when I realize it's harder than it looks like. Do I even want yogurt?

         I glance back up to find Atticus gone- I furrow my eyebrows.

          Suddenly, as if the shadows themselves did it- strong arms smoothly wrap around my waist and I feel his lips press at my neck.

           My heartbeat quickens as I realize the last time we were in a situation like this, alone anyway- was when he told me he had to come back to Holdrex. I turn my head and my eyes connect with his red ones as he smiles at me, white fangs gleaming. Strange enough, heat pools in between my legs as I feel him pressed against me.

             "Wh-why are your eyes red?" I ask him in a hushed tone. He gets closer to my face as he answers.

           "It's a full moon- this is when I usually feed. Like the night we met." He says as start to tremble in anticipation. I glance down at his plump lips, and in response he licks them.

           "Then- why aren't you feeding?" I ask him as I clear my throat, trying to make myself appear much more confident then I felt at that moment.

             He chuckles and his eyes soften as he palms my ass through the robe. His eyes glance down at my lips as he says something that should frighten me. Something that should make my blood turn cold- but instead, it does the opposite. It ignited the fire within me. It excites me. His glowing red eyes never look away from my lips.

            "I am" He says huskily- as he crashes his lips on mine- tightening his grip on me.

              I don't exactly feel ruined.

2 chapters left 😢
Heyyyyy yalllllll, I don't really have much to say about this chapter cause not much happened lmao but it's a bridge to something maybe much more exciting ? Idk we'll find out haha

Hope you guys enjoyed the chapter!

see ya next chapter !!!

READ

VOTE

COMMENT !!!!!!!!!!!