Hiding the Wound ( Summer x Reader)

-Your Pov-

You stood in front of Summer, and then the weight of her words hung in the air, and then you sighed at her answer and then nodded. Despite your best efforts, a lump formed in your throat, and then you felt tears welling in your eyes. Even now, you see her body twitch as she forces herself to not reach out to wipe them away, and even now you see her silver eyes laced with concern for you. " Are you going to be okay," she asks you eventually, both for the sake of asking and making sure, and partly for the sake of having something to say, the silence between the two of you becoming oppressive as time went on.

" Fine. I'll be fine," you tell her, and then you feel the first of your tears threatening to spill over, and you wiped them away quickly, and then you forced yourself to blink rapidly, and then Summer nodded, understanding. " I'll be fine," you repeat, both for her sake and for yours. You need to keep reminding yourself of that, otherwise you're going to break down in front of her, which is the last thing you want to do.

You turn to leave, and then quickly walk down the hallway, and from the corner of your eye, you see her hesitate a moment, wondering if she should chase you down. Part of you wants her to run, use her Semblance and then tackle you into a hug from behind, and another part of you wants to be left alone. Before you have time to wonder what you want more, you see Tai come over, and then rest his hand on her shoulder, and you break into a run, losing control of your breathing, and then making your way to the dorm you have alone, and then open it.

Closing it behind you, you walk into your bed, and then climb in and see the stuffed animal Summer had given you for a birthday, and then hold onto it, and then tears start streaming down your face, and you don't even care about trying to stop them anymore. Your body shakes up and down with your tears, and then your throat burns with all of the crying you've been doing. Eventually, you run out of tears, and your body racks with dry sobs, and then your eyes feel heavy, and you close them, and sleep, holding onto the stuffed animal, the sadness of your mind letting yourself believe that it's Summer.

In the morning, you wake up and then you look at yourself in the mirror, and see that you're a mess, eyes and nose red, and your eyes puffy. Looking at the pillow, you see that it's soaked with tears, and then you shake your head and sit up, happy to have a dorm to yourself. Rubbing your eyes and face, you get up and then start to get dressed for the day, forcing yourself to take deep breaths in and out to avoid breaking down again.

Heading out to your first period class, you take your usual seat behind Team STRQ. They take the time to greet you one by one, with Summer's greeting lingering for a little bit, with the hidden meaning of asking if you're okay. You find yourself unable to meet her gaze, and then look away and down at your paper and you start doodling something, just to keep your hands busy, and you begin to crack your knuckles one by one. Before anyone can talk to you, the teacher walks into the room, and then begins one of his stories.

He finishes the story, and then you smile. " Now that's a katana," you say, a joke you and Summer came up with ages ago, and something that always made the both of you laugh. However, this time, she doesn't even respond to you saying it, and then Tai repeats the joke, which in it off itself feels wrong, and it feels even worse when Summer laughs when he says it, and not when you do. A cold feeling goes through you, and then you feel something in you snap, and then you get up and leave for the bathroom, and then sit down and break down.

The next day, you find yourself sitting on the edge of a cliff, watching the sunset, one of your favorite places to come with Summer, but she's with Tai on some sort of date. That same feeling is stuck in your chest, and then you feel yourself crying again, despite your best efforts not to. Eventually, you manage to stop and then two birds land in front of you, and turn into your adopted brother and sister, Qrow and Raven. " You okay," she asks you.