Kazumi Sustrai x Isabelle Nikos ( OC x OC)

- Isabelle Pov-

I sigh to myself as I keep inputting the controls on the Switch. A small smile comes to my face as I get to watch Zelda launch my opponent off the stage, and then the match ends. A small sigh comes to me as I stop the timer I had begun to see how long the match would take. Under a minute, and another JV3 for me. Not even this winning streak I'm on, which is my highest one yet can cheer me up from this problem, or short of that, it doesn't even manage to distract me long enough to keep my mind off of it. I go to start another match, and then I hear the Tetris theme from the counter, the ringtone to my scroll.

Sighing a little bit, I place my hands on the wheelchair, and begin to roll over to the counter to see who it is. It's not a number I recognize, not mom or dad, not anyone from my team, and not Kazumi, though if it was him, I would end the call. I grab the phone, and then look at the number, wondering who it could possibly me. Thinking about it for a little bit longer, I answer the call, and set the scroll down on the counter, putting it on speaker. " Hello," I ask, trying not to sound curt to whoever is on the other end.

I hear voices on the other end of the call trying to confirm that the call went through, since the connection in the house isn't the best. I wait for a little while, but nothing happens. When I reach down to end the call, a female voice cuts in clearly. " Hello? Is this Isabelle Nikos," she asks, clearly frantic and panicking. I confirm for her that it is, and then before I can ask anything else, she speaks right over me. " You're the emergency contact for Kazumi Sustrai correct?"

The headache I had been nursing all afternoon returns to me, worse than it ever had been before. I rub my temples and go silent for a moment, which prompts the voice to ask if I'm still there, and then it repeats the question. " I'm still here," I confirm with a sigh, which I try to keep her from hearing. " And yes, I am the emergency contact for Kazumi. Though, you can change that if you want. I'm done bailing him out of trouble."

" Ma'am, do you recognize this number," she asks me, and before I can answer, she takes my lack of a response to mean that I don't know who I'm speaking with, and like before, she keeps on speaking. " This is the Beacon Hospital wing. Kazumi was just admitted to us in critical condition. He might not make it through the night. He's asking specifically to see you, in case it's the last time." The woman says to me, and then I can't help but sigh a little. Of course he's in the hospital again.

" I'll be on my way," I tell her, and then she texts me the address to the hospital. I go through some closing pleasantries with her, and then I roll my eyes again and end the call. Putting my scroll away, I rub my head one more time, and I have to ask myself how I ended up in this situation, how I ended up, once again going to see Kazumi in the hospital, even when I told him I didn't care what happened to him anymore. Before I have too much time to think about it, I wheel into a bullhead, and wait for it to make it to my stop.

I've been to the hospital many times in my life. Of course I have, I'm a girl in a wheelchair trying to be a huntress. There have been countless injuries for me, and also just the routine checkups the doctors do, always with some new medicine they think will help me walk, and then it never does. Rinse and repeat. But, I don't think I had ever been to the hospital more than what I had started dating Kazumi, sometimes several times a week.

The first hospital visit I actually remember had been when I was about a year old. I don't remember all of the details, but I remember it being the first appointment which wasn't going to be for my spine, and I was excited to not be poked and prodded out. I had been so confused when I went into a room, and I saw my parents friend, Emerald, screaming and crying out in pain. A few hours after that started, they had a baby of their own, Kazumi, who ended up being my first...everything really. My first friend, boyfriend, fiance, husband, and on the track we were going on now....the first and worst mistake I had ever made.