Chapter 46

"Excuse me ladies, I saw you from my table and I couldn't stop myself from saying hi. So...here I am saying...Hi!"

Mona and Dane were surprised so they weren't able to say something back. They just stared at the gorgeous man in front of them. Mona looked at him intently.

"Uh...hi! Sorry, you surprised us...ummm you look familiar. Have we met before?" Mona asked politely. She is quite sure that she have met him before, she just couldn't remember when and where.

"Yes, gorgeous one! As a matter of fact, we did meet before." The man answered with the most beautiful smile on his gorgeous face.

"Ohhhh yeah...you're that runaway prince that I met during the queen's charity ball! Alfred, right?" The man chuckled and seemed amused with what Mona said. He looked so cute, Dane was mesmerized. She hasn't said a single word.

"It's Alex, gorgeous one. May I join you ladies? It feels really lonely in there. I was about to have lunch with a newspaper again." He said before glancing at his table. Mona and Dane laughed at how he pouted.

"Sure. Why not? This is my bestfriend, Dane. Dane this is Prince Alex of Monaco."

Dane's eyes widened when she heard Mona said the word "prince". She remembers now where she saw him before. She thought she was wrong but Mona just confirmed it. He is indeed the handsome prince of Monaco. She has read an article about him. The guy is very famous to the elite women society. Like Harry, he is also one of the most sought after bachelors in the world. His image is like Harry's before he met Mona..."the playboy prince". Dane became anxious all of a sudden. She can see that this guy is interested on Mona too and she feels protective of her. She doesn't want a repeat of what happened with her and Harry. She wasn't able to protect her before, she will make sure to do that from now on.

"Hello Dane. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Hello your highness, the pleasure is mine."

"Oh no no no. You and Mona here can call me Alex. Drop the formalities."

"Well...Alex is shorter so I'm cool with it." Dane said smiling. There's something with this guy that just draws her to him. He is so amiable but Dane will still have careful watch of him.

"So...what brought you to town this time? Attending another ball?" Mona asked.

"No. Actually, this was just some sort of a 'side trip'. I was in Paris for a speaking engagement at one of the universities there. I wasn't ready to go home yet so I decided to stop by and I didn't regret that decision because now we meet again. It's like fate, don't you think?"

"Nah uh. I stopped believing in fate or some sort. You're here because you're here and I'm here because I'm here. This is a good restaurant so it's most likely to have people from around the globe to stop by and dine in here."

"Wow! That's really deep gorgeous one! I was joking about the 'fate' thing."

"Ohhh...okay. So, are you staying for long?"

"It depends. Are you inviting me to stay longer?"

"Nah...she's not." Dane answered on behalf of Mona, after clearing her throat.

"That was a joke too Dane. I'm sorry, am I being too forward?" Alex finally asked. He can sense that the two became uncomfortable especially Mona and he didn't like seeing her uncomfortable. He remembers their conversation at the palace during the ball. Mona was different...she was humurous. Now, she seemed defensive and not getting his jokes.

"Noooo. Of course not, Alex. I'm sorry. I'm just going through something right now. I haven't gotten my sense of humor back yet." Mona said with a shy smile. Alex felt a kick in his heart with how Mona said it. Now, he's wondering what happened. The last time he saw her at her fashion show, she was so happy with Harry. Did something happen between them? He thought.

"Yeah. You just caught us in a weird lunchtime. Let's start all over again or maybe let's start by ordering food. I think we're just hungry." Dane said half laughing.

"Right. And gorgeous ones, this weird lunch is on me! So what do you want to devour?" Alex said half laughing too. Mona and Dane laughed on how he highlighted the word devour.

The lunch turned out really fun. The three had great conversations and were at the restaurant for hours. If Mona didn't have an appointment with Hanna, they could have went somewhere else. Mona felt a little better. Today was different from her usual routine and she was thankful for Alex and Dane's company. Alex decided to stay for a week and the two agreed to hang out with him more during his stay.

Alex and Dane watched Mona as she entered the car waiting for her outside the restaurant. One of her guards was opening the door for her. Drew is on the driver's seat and one more guard is sitting beside him. Alex couldn't help wondering why Mona have so many guards. She even have more security than Harry and him. They walk around with only one bodyguard but Mona has three. Something's not right. He thought. He glanced at Dane and he saw the worries and sympathy on her face and he can even see sadness in her eyes.

"What's with so many bodyguards? Is she in some sort of danger?" He asked Dane.

"Nah. She just have a very protective boyfriend." Dane answered, highlighting the last word. Alex nodded but still not convinced.

The two parted ways. Dane started walking towards their apartment. She loves long walks, it helps her think and lately she needed time to think on how to keep Mona safe. Her instinct has been telling her that Mona's relatives already found out where she is and they will show up anytime soon. She needs to be prepared with a plan to secure Mona if that time comes. She lost her confidence on Harry and Donald already because of what happened. Although the palace increased Mona's security to make sure that her evil relatives could not go near her, Dane is still worried. She knows that the palace don't care for Mona's safety. The queen only increased Mona's security because of their deal.

***Don't forget to vote, comment, add this to your reading list, share to your friends and follow me for more upcoming stories. I am grateful for your support, loveys! ~Aireen