Chapter 6: Hurt

Your POV
As you were patiently waiting for Ethan and his brother, Grayson, to finish their visitation, you couldn't help but over hear your name being tossed around in their conversation. Your curiosity was getting the better of you, and knew it was going to get you into trouble sometime in the future. But you HAD to know what they were talking about.

You carefully poked your head through the crack of the door, and listened. Ethan's deep and raspy voice sent chills down your spine, and butterflies in your stomach.

"Yeah. She's beautiful." Ethan said.

A small wave of happiness washed over your face when he said that. Although the two of you barely met, there was still a spark whenever you were in his presence.

When you turned your cheek towards the small opening of the door, you heard footsteps. Your body quickly departed from the door as you heard the loud clicking of heels making contact with the marble floors. When the noise grew louder, you pretended to "write" things in your notebook.

"Oh my goodness, you scared me!" The kind voice said, stopping in front of me.

"Sorry, I was waiting for my patient." You said nervously tucking a strand of hair behind your ear.

"Oh, you're Dr. White?" She asked.

"Technically, I guess. But I'm n-"

"Okay, well Mr. Gaffer wants you to review these files." She said, handing me a large stack of papers.

"Oh, umm. T-thank you." You stuttered.

She smiled at you and walked away. You waited until her presence disappeared behind the corner, to resume your "snooping."

You quietly walked closer to the door and gently pressed your ear on the cold surface. You could barely make anything out; it all just sounded muffled. You slowly opened the door a little more to hear more clearly.

"Do you like her?" Grayson asked.

"I don't know. We just met like a few days ago, so I'm not so sure yet. But we almost kissed on Monday." Ethan responded.

"Wait, hold on. What?!" Grayson said in shock.

"It was just a 'spur of the moment' type of thing." Ethan said as if it meant nothing to him.

Your eyes fell from the wall when he said that. You scrunched your eyebrows out of disbelief and continued to listen. You were sure that you had heard something wrong; anything.

"It didn't mean anything. In fact, it wasn't even a thing to begin with." He chuckled.

Hearing this, confirmed the other half that was telling you that what Ethan said was true. You sighed deeply and walked away from the door; not wanting to get hurt anymore than you already were. But oddly enough, this boggled your mind.

"It's so weird, how can he have such an intense grip over me?" You whispered to yourself.

"I don't even like him." You mumbled, rolling your eyes.

You gently backed up against the wall, not too far from the door, and slowly slid down into an upright fetus position. Your nose was facing your knees as you wrapped your arms around them. You didn't want to admit it to yourself, but you were hurt; deeply.