34 - One Life For Another

A mysterious woman wearing eye mask came into the room. "Still being the lame, boring reaper? I'm here for a deal." she took a step closer to the reaper and whispers into his ears.

The reaper looks unamused. "And for what are you asking me to do that?" he asks. The woman grins, taking a glance at Joel. "Because I live to watch this family's drama. Just know that I'm not like them. I don't care about rules. I can just kill you and when another reaper come I'll kill them too." she says in a daring tone.

The reaper stares at her coldly. "As long as you offer another life for me to take, it's fine by me. Just don't come across my work again. It's the only joy in my life." the reaper tells her. She gave him an evil smile, and tells him the name of another soul he should reap in exchange to Riki's.

The reaper than leave the room, while the masked woman bend down in front of Finnick. "Don't forget to tell them about what you've heard and saw. As I've promised, your mother's soul will be sent to heaven now. Thank you."

Chris came back just when she left the room. They walked passed each other, and before Chris can confirm who she was, the woman disappeared. He just brush it off, and rush to Riki's room as he thinks his other cousins are waiting for him.

When he gets into the room Cassandra, Kat and Joel were looking at each other in confusion. "Did he just vanished?" Joel asks them, referring to the long gone soul reaper. "Wait, he's still alive!" Kat ran to Riki's bedside and checks on him.

Chris cleared his throat, drawing all eyes on him. "I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but I need you to leave the room now. Let me do my work." he motioned his hand toward the door.

As they were ordered too, the others leave the room. Kat was the last to leave Riki's side. She then walks towards Chris and put one hand on his chest. "If you can end his pain I can never thank you enough." she tells him.

While the others were outside Chris shut his eyes and focused on doing his healing power on Riki, making his wounds healed within seconds. When he opens his eyes Riki looks like he was never touched by anything. "Perfect." Chris compliments himself.

Riki opens his eyes and look at his hands and body. "Wow, was the torture just a nightmare?" he asks himself, unaware of Chris presence beside him. "Actually, I healed you." Chris says, making him surprised. It was getting awkward, until Riki asks Chris if Kat and his sister were there. "I'll go get them." Chris answers immediately.

Chris then steps out from the room. "Get inside and see for yourself." he tells the others they asked him how Riki is doing. Kat ran into the room, and find Riki standing perfectly by his bed. With happy tears in her eyes she jumps into his arms.

Cassandra felt touched, she holds Joel's hand and lay her head on his shoulder

Cassandra felt touched, she holds Joel's hand and lay her head on his shoulder. "Thank you, Chris." she thanks him. "You're welcome. They said Erick is awake too. I better go back to the palace. Jodi was alone. Wanna come with me?" Chris asked Finnick.

Finn shook his head so Chris leaves on his own. When Chris was gone Finn tells them about the woman that saved Riki's life. "I don't know who she was, she just came while you were fighting in here and told me to stop you guys." he says, before he tells them what happened in detail.

"Whoever she is, she saved my love's life." Kat says, leaving a kiss on Riki's cheek. They then left the room to work on Riki's discharge from the hospital, leaving only Joel and Cassandra as Finn makes his way to see Erick.

"I hate to say this but we can't feel at ease yet." Joel says, expecting for another fall in their story. Cassandra smiles as she leaves a peck on his cheek. "Stop being pessimistic." she tells him.

Instead of going straight to see Erick, the two make their way to the cafe. Joel has been quiet the whole time. Cass tries to make him open his mouth every chance she gets, but failed on each attempt. It's getting annoying, and Cassandra has loss her will to try.

When Richard comes to their table, Cassandra made an excuse to leave. "I see you're being cold to her. Just like you did when we first know who she really is." Richard says, taking a seat across Joel's.

Joel sighs as he rubs his face with his hand. "She always do things without me. Seriously, the thought of your girl trying to be a hero while you were sleeping wasn't the best thing to keep in mind. It makes me feel weak because it looks like she doesn't need me. What's the point of being a boyfriend if you can't protect your girl?"

Richard looks at Joel with his eyebrows raised. "Other than being there for her, support her decisions even how stupid it was and for today's case, ask her if she's okay? After her father almost killed her and her brother? I don't know, bro. Maybe nothing." he replies.

Joel sensed the changes in Richard's tone. "There's no point talking to you about it. You guys will always be on her side." he rolls his eyes. "Also, in case you didn't know yet, Riki is doing fine. Someone had his soul traded with someone else. Call me pessimist as Cass did just now, but I know something bad is going to happen for that." he adds.

Just like a cue, Richard received a call. While he was talking to the phone his face drops. "I'll tell everyone. Just calm down! You're not making things better!" he yells at the caller. Then he put his phone down and took a deep breath to gather himself back in.

"Think you can't protect your girlfriend? I can't even protect my sister." he tells Joel, deep pain shown on his face.

Author's note: I'm not planning to reveal the mysterious woman anytime soon, in case you were expecting for it in the next update. I'm sorry but guess you have to wait a little longer 😉