Chapter 1

(A/N: Okay, so... I'm writing this Author's note 4 years after I published this story. I was pretty young when I wrote and published this story so I apologize for all the grammar errors and mistakes in this book!! Hahaha!)

Mallory's POV

I was in my best friend, Hunter Hayes' driveway. He was about to take an 9 and a half hour drive to Nashville because he got a record deal and he was going to start his singing career. Ever since we were in Kindergarten, I would love hearing him sing and play the accordion he got from his grandmother when he was two. Tears were streaming down my face at the thought that I wouldn't get to see him as much as I usually do after he leaves.

"I promise I'll come back and visit as soon as possible." He says.

I nod as he continues to wipe away my tears. We soon hear a car horn. He looks towards the car and then back at me.

"I have to go."

He hugs me tightly and I sob in his chest. He strokes my blonde hair.

"I'll see you later." I mumble in his chest but he could still hear me.

He kisses my forehead and picks up his suitcases and gets into the car, leaving me in his driveway crying.

-3 years later (March 2014)-
Well, now I'm 22, and I'll be 23 December 8th. My mom got me a 'diary' but I prefer it be called a journal. I haven't used it since last Christmas. I finally decide to use it today. I sit on my bed and lay my journal on my lap. I open it and start writing.

It's been 3 years since Hunter left, and he's only got to visit about seven or nine times because he's been so busy. I'm not used to this, at all. I'm not use to him not being around all the time. And ever since we've been in 4th grade, I've been keeping my crush on him a secret. Nobody knows. I know I should tell him, but he doesn't have time for me now I don't guess. He needs to focus on his music and I support him, but he's the only one I would want to date, the only boy that's on my mind all the time. But why would he want to date anyone like me? He probably doesn't even love me the way I love him. He probably would probably want to date the pretty girls that look like models. I look nothing like a model. I have dirty blonde hair and blue eyes, and a few freckles. I'm always wearing a button down checked short-sleeved shirt with Jean shorts that come to my knees. I never wear heels and I hate makeup. I'm always wearing converse or vans. Sometimes Toms. I'm just different. I wish a could be pretty like them.

I close my journal and lay it on my nightstand. I lay my head back on my pillow and a few tears slip from my eyes.

After a few minutes I reach for my journal and read over what I wrote. It was all true, I just knew it.

Hunters POV

I was only five minutes away from Mallory's house. I hadn't told anyone I was coming. Usually I would spend a lot of time with my parents when I came back to Breaux Bridge but this time I would be spending a lot of time with Mallory. Mallory is beautiful, but she doesn't think so. She's the kind of girl I would date. Yes that does mean I have a crush on her. What Boy wouldn't? I pull into her driveway and see the only light on is a dim light coming from her room window. I get out of my car with my suitcase and walk to the door and ring the doorbell. I hear footsteps running down the stairs and the door swings open. She sees me and looks like a little kid on Christmas morning.

"Hunter!" she squeals.

I let go of my suitcase and she runs to hug me. I sat her down and she smiles at me.

"Come in!" she says and moves to the side letting me in.

"Are you hungry?" she asks.

"Well I haven't ate in Nine and a half hours."

She leads me to her kitchen and starts making Gumbo. She got the recipe from my mom.

"YES! GUMBO!" I yell excitedly throwing my hands in the air and she laughs. Soon she brings me a bowl of Gumbo. I finished in 5 minutes and it took her 20.

Later that evening we were in her room watching TV when I notice a book laying at the end of the bed.

"I hope you don't mind me asking, but what's that?" I ask pointing at the book. Her eyes widened as if I wasn't suppose to see it.

"Oh.... That's just uh.. My j-journal." she stutters before picking it up and throwing it on the floor.

"Oh.. Ok."

After a few more minutes, she stood up.

"I'll be right back." she says.

I nod and she walks out the door. I know I shouldn't do this but I can't help myself. I reached over and picked up her journal. I hated all this stuff she was writing about herself. She was beautiful.

"You're beautiful, Mallory. And I love you."
I say as I close her journal.

I look up and see her standing in the doorway. Her shocked face turned into a small smile.