Chapter 20

~1 month later. March 2017~

There's a certain reason I wanted Mallory to move in with me. Of course, I have to live in Tennessee, and I wanted her to move in with me, but there's something I really wanted to do.

Today is mine and Mallory's 3-year-Anniversary and I've got a surprise for her tonight. Right now, we're at Mallory's parent's house.

I hope this will get her mind off of things because she's been going through a lot lately, and I haven't seen her smile in the last few weeks. Maybe that will change tonight though.

Later that night, I see Mallory walking down the steps with a dress on. A short red dress that goes a little past her knees and white leggings under it.

"Well, there you are beautiful." I say and see her smile for the first time in a while.

She blushes, "and there you are handsome."

"Oh, Mallory! You look lovely," her mother, Sara says.

"Thanks mom." She says.

I take her hand and walk her out to the car, opening the door for her.

"Thank you," she says.

I drive her around all the places that we've been to together, reminding her of everything we did together, and I see her eyes sparkle from our memories.

I took her to one more spot. It was in Breaux Bridge of course, it was our treehouse that our dad's made us when we were six.

"It's been a while since we've been up here," she says sitting down and leaning her back against the wall with her knees pulled to her chest in the treehouse, "a few years."

"I know," I say, sitting down beside her, Indian style. I pause for a minute, "Mallory, I was wondering, do you ever think about the future?"

She gives me a small smile, "sometimes."

"Do you ever think of a future, with me?"

"Of course. You're the only one I want to be with for the rest of my life."

"Alright, well if that's the case, then marry me."

Her knees fall from their position and she looks at me with wide eyes, "what?"

"I love you so much, marry me?" I ask pulling out the small ring box from my pocket and kneeling in front of her. I smile at her but she's not reacting the way I thought she would.

She leans forward and puts her forehead against mine, "Hunter, I don't think I can," she says.

Wait, what?

"I don't think I can... say no," she smiles and I do too. I slide the ring on her finger.

"I love you Mallory," I say kissing her.

"I love you, Hunter."