4

As I've driving home, listening to my playlist, my phone vibrates. I stare at it on the seat next to the driver's with a confused look. I look up and find a red light ahead. As I stop, I pick up my phone and read the message.

I sped the rest of the way home and my knuckles were white from gripping onto the steering wheel

I switched off the car and raced out, forgetting my things in it. There are police cars around our driveway and I recognise our social worker's car. Liam must've called her. I park my car in our garage and take a few moments to breathe. My hands were so sweaty while driving and my heart beat is still over its limit. I really need to start bringing my pump to school.

When I'm calmed down, I get out of my car and walk up the pathway to our door. I race into the house and the first thing I see is Liam behind the couch with his knees up against his chest and Rosie lying next to him.

"It's ok, I'm here."

He looks up and I've never seen him so scared in my life. His blue eyes are always radiant and full of life but now, they look empty and lost. "Did she try to hit Rosie as well?" I ask.

He nodded his head but I couldn't tell, He was shaking so much, I think he's about to have a seizure.

Liam was born with epilepsy, a type of brain injury caused by a lack of oxygen during or near the time of birth. It never usually affected him but on some days, he's had to take weeks off school.

It wasn't inherited from anyone on our mom's side of the family. We're certain it's from our dad's side but I was lucky enough not to get it.
You can tell when it hits him cause he often gets angry really easily, or gets so tired he collapses.

"I feel dizzy," Liam mumurs. "I wanna sleep."  As a big sister, I should let him sleep but the police need to interrogate him for information.

"I'm going to see what's happening ok? Stay here." I whisper before hauling myself off the floor and heading towards the kitchen.
There is glass everywhere and three policemen looking around and two calming my mom down.

Her eyes lock on mine and her glare sends shivers through my body.

I come off as a tough person but my mom is the only one that scares me. Ever since she killed our dad, she has it stuck in her head that it's my fault because I'm the oldest and has been abusing me until I told Olivia, her closest friend.

The two policemen notice me and beckon me to come over.
"I need you to calm her down if you can." One of them says.

I turn to look at her and her smile turns sickly evil and I start shaking my head violently and backing out of the room.
"No, no, no, no, no." I say before spinning on my heel and running out of the room.

I hear the policemen talking in hushed tones. "She was probably abused as a young child as well." One says
"Well, we can't make assumptions but we need to know for sure." The other says.

They want to know my past. What's the point in telling them? Last time they came, my mom murdered my dad and got away with it. They didn't even do a full investigation, so what does it matter if I tell them I was abused for most of my childhood.

I sit on the couch to try and calm down my heart rate. I start to lose more and more air each passing second. My throat feels like it's closing up and I feel like I'm being choked. Flashbacks spin on repeat in my head and the picture of me against the wall in mid-air while my mom holds me up by the neck shatters all senses of communication in me. My head suddenly snaps upward and my throat feels completely blocked.

I need my asthma pump.

I start vigorously trashing the living room, looking for my pump until I realise it's in the kitchen. I run into the kitchen, grab it off the counter and start inhaling.

When I catch my breath again,
I'm pulled away by my social worker to the far corner of the kitchen.
She said, "I need you to be absolutely honest with me," Her stare frightened me, as she looked deep into my eyes, like she could see my future and past.
I gulped and nodded my head.

"Does she abuse you and your brother?"

The one question I didn't want to answer.

Do I spill out everything and risk loosing my mom?

Or do I keep my mouth shut and continue to let her abuse Liam until the day she kills him as well?

I can't loose Liam. He may be annoying as hell but at this rate, there's no chance of me getting another sibling and if I keep my mouth shut, I will be to blame for Liam's death. But if I say something, what will happen to Liam and I?

I am truly fucked.

______________________

As a warning, you might want to hang on, things go crazy from here. In this chapter, you learn a lot more about Liam and Madison in terms of their personal life.

I didn't add the parts about Liam having epilepsy from birth and Madison having asthma just to make the story more interesting so I get more views, I added it because you don't get a lot of stories like this on Wattpad and I wanted mine to be unique and creative as well as heartbreaking.

Also, I know absolutely nothing about epilepsy. I have never met anyone that has it so I'm trying my best to make it as relatable as possible.