25

The windows are smashed up, and the front door was kicked down. I gasp, covering my mouth with my hands, and Noah holds onto me firmly by the waist. We walk up to the door and step inside the house. Everything inside seems, neater. "Why is it so tidy in here?" Mia asks and the officer replies, "That's what we were thinking." Mia shakes her head and says,"I really don't want to scare anyone but I think there's something or someone in here. Did you check all the rooms?" She asks and the officer replies back,"Not the upstairs cause the stairs are pretty dangerous. The stairs were smashed down."

I freeze and turn around. "How am I supposed to get upstairs? I need my stuff and my brother needs his things as well!" I yell. "Calm down, baby. It's ok" Noah whispers into my ear and wraps his arms around my waist and I nearly melt by his touch. I nod and suddenly realise. "We have backup stairs on the other side." I lead everyone into the kitchen and through a door that has stairs and they lead straight into the hallway but the first door is my room. I slowly walk up to the door and grip onto the handle but I can't bring myself to push the door open. Noah places his hand over mine and gently helps me push the door open. He goes in first. He walks back out, pale. "Mia, go in and grab all of her clothes and her laptop and charger, everything." He says sternly.

"Why can't I go there?" I ask and he looks down at me. "You'll be scarred for life if you step in there," He says to me and turns to the officer. "I think you need to go and have a look in her room and take pictures or something. We are gonna need them for Olivia's court case. " He nods and walks in just as Mia and Lexi walk out with my things. Mia is shaking and Lexi is pale.

"Madison, listen to me," Mia says while taking both my hands. "You are so strong and I never want you to enter that room until they have someone to fix it up for you. Please?" Mia begs and I nod while tears are slowly making their way down my face. Lexi has a bag full of my shoes and we make our way to Liam's room. "I have to go in there. Only I know where his medication is and he needs it." They all nod but Noah comes in with me regardless. We step into the room and I stumble back as if I'm going to collapse and Noah immediately grips onto me for support.

All of Liam's drawings and certificates and posters are all cut in with bloody daggers. It's almost as if someone exploded in here. There's a baby picture of him on his wall that has real blood stains on it and a knife through the wall. A gun is sitting on the desk. His walls are stained a deep red and you can't tell if it's blood or paint. I walk up to the gun and pick it up. "It's loaded." I whisper and turn to face Noah. he picks up a post it note on the floor. He hands it to me and it says.

My dearest Liam. Life is a very difficult thing to deal with. People go crazy and fall in love. They make mistakes and kill people. If you die, which mark my words YOU WILL, think of it, as a honest mistake.

Love from Mummy x

I place everything back on the desk and rush to open the drawer of his medications. "Noah." I say and he walks over to me. "His medication to live, is gone." I whisper. I slam the drawer shut and grab his suitcase and begin piling his clothes into it. I zip it up and grab and extra bag for his shoes. When we're done we walk back outside. I sigh and say "You need to take a look in there as well. I don't want to be here anymore." I say with a clear voice and he nods and escorts us back downstairs to meet with the other officer. "How is it in there?" He asks as we walk up to him.

"I don't think I'll ever be able to look at that house the same way again." I whisper and he gives me a sympathetic smile. "We'll catch her. Mark my words" He says and I nod.

We make our way back to Noah's car. I drive in my car with Lexi while Noah drives with Mia. We stop at Olivia's house to give her Liam's stuff and explain what they saw but I wasn't paying attention. Liam runs up to me and gives me a hug. "You went back to the house?" He whispers and I nod and kiss his forehead. "It's so damaged, we can't live there again." I say. "Try to keep safe and everything will be over soon." He nods and runs back to watch TV. Olivia comes up to me and gives me a bone-crushing hug. "You are so brave, honey. Please never go back there again?" She asks.
"I promise." I reply. I run to my suitcase and pull out a bag of medications. "I thought they were gone." Noah says. "I always have a spare replica of every medication he needs." I say while handing the bag to Olivia. She nods and we say our goodbyes.

We head back out to our cars and head towards Mia's house. We go inside and Rosie runs up to the door and I carry her to the kitchen to feed her. Mia, Noah and Lexi stand at the kitchen door, watching me closely. "Stop staring at me. It's creepy." I say while pouring the dog food and they all mumble their apologies. I put the dog food away and lead them to Mia's living room. "Can we please forget about tonight? I just want sleep." I ask and they all nod. I pick up my phone and check the time.

01:26am

"I have to go and get some rest." Noah says while coming up to me and giving me a hug and a peck on the lips. "Text me in the morning." I say and he nods. He walks out and the door shuts.
I plonk onto the couch and set my alarm on my phone while Mia gets snacks and Lexi picks a movie. "Maddy! You setting an alarm?" Mia yells while walking back in with a bowl full of snacks and Rosie walking at her feet. "Yeah." I say putting my phone down and letting Rosie sit on my lap. We turn on 'Mean Girls' and stay up laughing and watching the film.