Meeting

When I walked downstairs after my shower, I went into the living room and saw that somebody had pulled the blinds back open, letting sun into the room.

I walk over silently and sit on the couch beside Carter. He jumps but then realizes it was just me. Is everyone still on edge? He turns to me.

"I'm going to go home now." Was all he said before walking out the door. Looking behind him every few steps, cautiously.

"I think he's broken." Aron said, chuckling. I turn to him. He was laughing but not smiling. I go over and sit down next to him.

"A-are you okay?" I ask, not looking at him. He sighs.

"I know this is just another one of my nightmares and I'll wake up soon." He said, closing his eyes. I look at him in worry. He actually thought this was a nightmare.

"Aron." He ignores me and keeps his eyes closed.

"Aron!" I say louder.

"Hm?"

"This isn't a dream." I say to him. He opens his eyes slowly and I see tears in his eyes.

"I know." He choked out, looking down.

"Maybe you should go home." I tell him. He nods and stands up. Not saying a word to me, he walks out the door.

Sage walks into the room right after that. When she sees everyone's gone, she walks over, hugs me, and walks out. Wow. She didn't even say goodbye.

I look out the window after everyone's gone and shiver. Is the thing from my nightmares really back?

I stand up. I can't stay here alone. I'm going to go into town. Where there's more witnesses and less possible threats to my life. I grab my camera, put on my sweatshirt, and walk out the door, locking it behind me.

I walk down the sidewalk until I come to Main Street. I start to walk down the sidewalk. My camera up and my head down, looking at the ground. This is how I always walked in public. I have the ability to maneuver a crowd without looking up.

I see a crack in the sidewalk that had a dime stuck in it. When I was distracted with that. I ran into somebody. I fall backward, my camera skidding a couple feet away. I scramble to grab my camera before looking up at the person.

"Sorry!" I say while standing up. I keep my camera trained ahead of me.

"It's okay." The man in front of me says. He had black hair and dark brown eyes. He was wearing a red shirt and a yellow-tan jacket.

"No, really, I should have watched where I was going, and-" I start to ramble on.

"I said it's okay." The man cuts me off. He looked to be a couple years older than me, and he had a cigarette in his hand. I scrunch up my nose at the cancer-stick.

"Why do you have a camera in my face?" The man asked. I apologize again and pull down my camera, though still keeping it trained on his face.

"Why do you have a camera?" He asks again. Oh. That was a question and not a hint to put the camera down.

"Uhm...I'm making a documentary..." I look at the building beside me. "About hotels." I finish of. Yesss! Grade A excuse. He chuckles under his breath.

"I've heard that excuse before." He said.

"What?" I say, narrowing my eyes at him. He crosses his arms but still had an expressionless face.

"I don't believe you." He said, clarifying what I had suspected. I bring the camera back up and point it at his face again.

"Look, Mr..." I trial off. I hadn't gotten his name.

"Tim." He said.

"Mr Tom. I don't know why-" he cuts me off.

"Tim." He says again, patiently. Let's try to take away down of that patience, shall we?

"That's what I said. I don't know why you think you can just judge my documentary, Mr Tom!"

"Tim." He says while chuckling.

"What's so funny?" I say, getting a bit frustrated because he wasn't frustrated. He points at the hotel beside me.

"That was the only hotel in town, and it's been condemned for years." He said. I look over. Sure enough, there was yellow police tape in the doorway that I hadn't noticed before. Well...crud.

"It's a... documentary on... how an unused hotel ages." I thought up the best excuse I could think of. He chuckles again.

"It was nice meeting you." He says, walking away, still laughing. I glare at the back of his head as he walks away.