Oliver's interlude

"See anything?" I say, trying to see over him.

"Kids. Three of them. All fast asleep on the couch." He said, narrowing his eyes.

"How old?" I say in thought.

"Looks like... All around seven... Eight maybe." I nod. Killing kids isn't hard for me, they'll just grow up to be liars and cheaters.

He puts his hand on the window sill as an afterthought and lifts up. And just like that: It opened. Are you kidding me?! Are all rich people this careless? Probably not...But still!

Scoffing, I climb in through the window while he keeps an eye out behind us. Once I was inside, I take a look around, nice house. A few Christmas candles lit around the room, just enough to be a nightlight.

I hear a crash behind me and spin around to see Oliver laying on the ground by the window.

"Fuck." He says, too loudly.

I hear a growl and turn around. I see a sort of guard dog snarling at us from the doorway.

"You...Idiot!" I whisper-yell back at him. Before I can react, the dog starts barking loudly. A red light appears on its collar and A few minutes later I hear police sirens.

What kind of sorcery is this?!

"Fuck." I say. I hear panicked voices upstairs.

"Forget the kills. Let's get the fuck out here." He said. Although I wanted to argue, I really couldn't. I nod hastily and we dart for the window, rushing out. While we were running for the woods though, I hear a voice.

"Hands in the air!" A commanding voice shouts. I curse under my breath but keep running.

Just a hundred meters left. Come on.

"Faster!" I say through gritted teeth to Oliver, running beside me. He glares at me but keeps running.

"We'll get shot down!" I shake my head.

"Not if you run faster!" We were closing in, but not fast enough.

"Stop!" Yells the voice behind me. I think by now they realized we weren't stopping.

Then I hear a loud gunshot. Everything went in slow motion. I hear the footstep beside me change dramatically, and then stop, ending in a crunch.

I turn my head and my eyes widen as I see my partner's mouth drop open and he crumples to the ground. I immediately stop.

Keep running! My brain tells me. But I couldn't. No matter how much of a complete idiot he was, I couldn't leave him like this.

The sparkling snow was now stained a dark, sickly red. I fall onto my knees beside him. What do I do? I've never had someone shot beside me!

He looks up at me with bloodshot eyes, widened in disbelief. Right as I hear another bang, he quickly throws himself in front of me. I hear a sickening sound as it probably hit somewhere along his spine. Aimed for my heart.

I gasp and tear run from my eyes. What the hell do I do?! My body seemed to slow and brain almost stopped working.

Then another shot. He took it as well, trying to smile, blood starting to spurt from his mouth.

Then another. This one hit somewhere on his shoulder and splattered blood on my face.

"YOU SICK MOTHERFUCKER! YOU ALREADY GOT TWO SHOTS!" I scream at the top of my lungs. The first time this happened, and I felt this way... It was Aron... I don't want Oliver gone like that too...

Then I hear three more shots sound, all of them hitting the man who had thrown himself in front of me as a human shield. I am covered in even more blood. Why would they do this? We're not in the house anymore. We didn't pull a weapon on them. Is this just how people are?!

Then I hear another shot. This one seemed to hit him in just the right place. The bullet, instead of being stopped by his body, went through him, right through where his heart is, it narrowly missed me and went into the ground. I sob when I realize this is the end.

He just grins and winks at me before I hear one last shot. It seemed to have hit him in the back of the head. He falls forward on me, a bloody mess covered in bullet holes.

This is just a dream. This is just a dream. This isn't real!

Narrowing my eyebrows, I push his body off of me and stand up. I get a view of an officer raising his gun. I hear the bang and don't flinch. When the bullet got close to me it seemed to bounce of of something.

"Oh no you don't!" I hear a very familiar voice yell. The invisible thing continued to deflect the bullets. I quickly regainmy brain. Taking a despair filled glance at the bloody body of Oliver, I take off towards the woods.