Worse fates

After getting new bandages and wrapping them around the wound on Jeff's side, he put his hoodie back on.

"This feels much better, I can actually move!" He says. I smile proudly but stay silent.

"Jeff...I'm sorry..." I say, looking down.

"Sorry for what? You just stitched up my wound." He said happily. I sigh.

"Yeah...but I was the one who caused it. It's my fault." I say sadly. He takes my hand.

"Look. It happens. You think Toby hasn't attacked people before? Or Sully? Or Masky? Or even Me? It happens. We've all been through a lot..." I pull him into a hug. He slowly hugs back, squeezing my shoulders. I suddenly pull back.

"Oh yeah. Speaking of Masky, I've got to talk to him. Bye!" I say as I pull away and dash out of the room and down the hall. By the time I reached the stairs, I was going too fast to stop. I jumped over the banister and ended up face down on the floor.

"Are you dead?" I hear a voice say above me. I know that voice from more than one place.

"Yes." I say, standing up. "Hey, I need to ask you something." I say. He raises an eyebrow though I can't see it.

"What?" He asks.

"Well...How do I start this...? I believe I know you from somewhere besides here-" He puts a hand over my mouth and leads me to his room.

When the door was shut he removes his hand.

"You do." He said. I nod.

"You said your name was Tim. Correct?" I ask, sounding like an FBI officer interrogating him.

"That is correct." He said. I smile.

"You also laughed at my inside joke about hotel documentaries." He shrugs.

"It was funny." He said defensively.

"I've also heard your voice before. Before all of this happened." He freezes, then nods.

"Yes. You have." I smile.

"Then you are Tim? The guy I saw on the street the day that...Sage died." I say, stopping a bit before the last part.
He nods.

"Yes, I a-" I pull him into a hug, squeezing his waist.

"You are the only person that I knew, that's still alive." I say. He hugs back a little.

"But we weren't friends." He said gently. I shake my head.

"Doesn't matter, we met, I didn't hate you. That's saying a lot." I say, giggling.
Then my eyes tear up.

"Everyone I knew is dead..." He pulls away and cups my cheek in his hand.

"I'm not." He said, smiling. I look down.

"It's my fault they're dead." I say.

"No. It's not." He said gently.

"Yes it is. If I had stayed out of their lives, they would be fine." I say, raising my voice.

"No they wouldn't." He said. I look up at him.

"What do you mean?" I ask, confused at his words.

"Sage would be lonely and insecure, Carter's life would have gone downhill, and Aron...He would have killed himself long ago..." He said. I tear up again.

"Really?" I ask.

"You helped them all. They would have suffered much more." He said. I nod, sniffling a bit.

"Now, you should go calm down." He said. He knew I had a few emotional issues. I nod and leave.