Dream

I wake up in an open field, a single willow tree standing beside me, casting shade on my face as I stare out across the golden plain.

I see a figure walk towards me from the distance, I couldn't see who it was, just a silhouette.

I squint my eyes and look closer, the person was now standing just a few feet in front of me, they seemed to slightly glow. My eyes widen as I realize who it was:

Aron. He was standing here in front of me.

"Aron? Is that you?" I say uncertainly, disbelief in my words. He smiles and raises a finger to his lips, telling me that he couldn't talk. Then he motions for me to follow him.

He starts to climb the willow tree, somehow not making a single noise with his shoes. I follow him up the tree until we were both sitting on a thick branch high up. He smiles at me again.

Not a sad smile, but a genuinely warm smile that made me forget about everything that happened. I smile back. He points off in the distance and I can see the beautiful golden horizon line, shimmering in the sunlight as if it were just a mirage.

I gasp at the beautiful sight, my eyes shining in the glow.

I look back at Aron to see him smiling at me still, his eyes glowed.

"This is beautiful Aron." I say in awe. He nods. A small crow lands on the branch between us. It chirps, looking at me. It tilts its head to the side and I smile at it. I reach for it but it takes off, flying away into the distance.

I turn back to Aron and go to wrap my arms around. But they just...go through him. He gets an unhappy look on his face, slightly sad.

"Huh?!" I say, swiping my hand through him again and again, but each time it just went through him. I don't know when I started crying, but now I couldn't stop.

"No, no, no, no!" I say through sobs as I try again and again to hug my long lost friend.

"No!" I scream, swiping my hand through his head. He gets a really sad look on his face and looks down.

He comes back after dying in my arms and I can't even embrace him.

"Please no." I say. I try to hug him once more but, as expected, I go right through him. I wobble on the branch and slip. He tried to grab my arm to keep me from falling, but his hand passed through me, sending a cold chill up my spine.

The last thing I see before hitting the ground a far distance down was Aron's sad and worried face staring down at me, his hand still outstretched as I fell...

Down...

Down...

Down...