Act (no ship)

Ship: no ship

TW: Swearing, kinda existentialism?

This is more of a character study if anything; I came up with this idea a while back but when I initially wrote it out, it turned out to be really really short and I really didn't want that.

One of my unspoken policies is that I try to make all my chapters at least 1000 words.

But I felt like I really needed to unravel Virgil's character a bit more. He's a complex character and that's what I appreciate about him and the Sanders Sides.

And considering that I'm doing daily updates (starting from today), I thought the shortness would be made up for with the frequent updates.

Plus, I really loved the idea of this chapter and it's been weighing me down for god knows how long, and so I thought; fuck it! I want to fucking write it and what better way to begin the daily updates?

This is more on the philosophical side so hopefully this turns out decently.

Note is at the bottom!

"All the world's a stage!"

Perhaps not in the intended way, he agreed wholeheartedly with the metaphoric statement.

Personally, he found Shakespeare to be a pretentious shit who waxed poetry as if life were some fantasy comprised of 2D characters with simple motives and simple goals.

But, begrudgingly, he had to admit that even though Shakespeare enthused poetry like no tomorrow, he enthused good poetry.

And it was from that quote that he had surrendered to such an ideology; he would give credit where it was due. Shakespeare may have written unrealistic situations, but he appeared to have at least some insight on realistic outlooks on life.

To be fair, a majority of people viewed the quote as something meant to be inspiring; that the world was your stage, and each step you took (figuratively and literally) contributed to your life story - it was your responsibility to make your story count.

That may have been true. In fact, he could admit it was most definitely true.

But. When he'd first heard Logan recite the words in a passionate, awestruck admiration that rivalled the theatrics of Roman, he'd seen it.

He'd seen the gold trickle of stardust that many had claimed to feel when words resounded and sung within their lost souls, something he'd labelled as bullshit years ago. But now, he couldn't deny it.

That golden stardust had taken the form that poetry was always to have, and he'd briefly pondered why he'd never understood such a notion before. At least now he did.

That golden stardust would lodge itself into the cracks of his heart and form the seals that would, at least temporarily, give him that chance to feel human. He let the soothing words lull him into a state of acceptance; yes, this was it.

And there it would remain when he'd later reached the revelation that, yes, all the world's a stage because he was always acting.

Always acting with that deceptive mask of emotions upon his face, and always schooling his expressions before he'd accidentally unravelled himself into the messy knot that consisted of the immeasurable problems of the rest of the people in the world.

He was an actor; an actor of his natural disposition.

And, he realised, the damned quote was a metaphor to top it all off.

He'd heard Logan recite the definition so many times that he could conjure it up with little to no effort;

A figure of speech in which a word or phrase literally denotes itself in place of another object or idea.

Or, simply put, where one item is said to literally be something else.

'Appropriate,' he had smirked to himself when he'd realised it.

Because he was constantly not him. He was, literally, something other than what he truly was.

Because; what was he truly?

Unloved.

Pitied.

Unwanted.

Isolated.

Abnormal.

A freak.

A misfit.

A villain.

A hindrance.

A monster.

But all the world's a stage.

So he'd play the part. He'd be the protagonistic antagonist.

Even if he wasn't.

Yeah, I was right when I said it'd be really short. Sorry y'all.

It know it's not that good, but I kinda like it? I dunno.

I'm really sorry it's so short. I just had to write it cause it was fucking killing me.

Plus I gotta be up early tmr (technically today) cause I've got plans so it's kinda good I didn't make it long or I would be up for fuck knows how long.

Time:

Yeah, I'm still obsessed with that damn song, lmao

ANYWAYS! Hopefully the next chapter will make up for this shitty, basically rant-based chapter.

I'll try to make it fluffy and long, but we'll see.

I hope this was, at least, a satisfactory beginning to the daily updates.

If not, I'll try to make up for it!

Till next time!

~Corynn