Broken Promises (BROT4/OT4 - Poly) [1/4]

Ship: OT4/BROT4 Poly; ambiguous & open for interpretation

TW: Swearing

Word count: 1433

In this first part of the series, Logan is the focus character.

Note is at the bottom!

If there was one quirk of Logan's that they could list within a heartbeat, it was that his brow would furrow in muted exasperation or confusion whenever a statement that was factually incorrect was uttered.

That, or his bad habit of snapping pens or pencils whenever someone (Roman) was unfruitfully trying to prove him wrong due to prideful reluctance to admit that they were wrong.

Either way, with Logan being Thomas' literal embodiment of Logic, it was reasonable to say that his temperament when faced with fictitious and/or misguided statements was not the best, to put it mildly.

But that wasn't always the case.

Logan, in his youth, was an emotional, sweet trait who just happened to be responsible for keeping Thomas alive and operating his common sense.

It wasn't always his venture to be the most intelligent, or most factually correct, but it brought him a strange, irrevocable sense of pride that swelled up within him and puffed his chest out in some semblance of confidence.

Logan, in his youth, was a darling whose curiosity bound him towards discovering the truth. To him, fear of knowledge was almost criminal.

To know was to understand. To understand was to answer the proverbial, perpetual 'why' that hangs above, mockingly, just out of human reach.

Age 10:

A wail, a disturbing and loud cry that shuddered the windows and echoed off the walls, set the alarms in Logan's head to go off. Shooting out of his seat, not bothering to even close his laptop, he jumped out of his chair in a flurry of black and blue.

In his staggered rush, his mind had enough sense to loosen his bowtie from his neck for fear of suffocating from panting and his body's natural desire to increase oxygen intake. His glasses, askew, had neared upon falling off when he abruptly screeched to a halt. He barely paused to catch his breath before he was vigorously rapping upon the door that he'd come to know as the entry to Roman's room, nor did he bother to wait for an answer before immediately bursting in.

"Roman?! What happened?!" He exclaimed, voice strained as he peered around for any sign that would indicate towards such distress.

He was met with a disheveled, ruddy eyed Roman who was curled up on a corner of his bed, tucked tightly against the wall. The blanket was creased and wrinkly in his firm grasp as he swaddled it around himself and the pillows had taken to lie uselessly on the floor. The covers were littered with crumpled tissues and the bin which they were supposed to be in had tipped over onto its side.

Roman, still glassy eyed and making another tissue fall victim to its drenching fate, sniffled loudly and reached out with a hand, like a child, and whimpered an unspoken request.

Logan took the few steps forwards needed to reach him until his eyes managed to latch onto the open laptop that had previously been in his blindspot. The screen was dark, but he could just make out the beginnings of a large abyss of water.

"Roman...?" He pondered, taking Roman's clammy hand into his and gently squeezing it. "What's this?"

"The...Titanic movie." He croaked out weakly, coughing to clear his throat.