5: Don't Casually Touch

After another day's travel, the pair reached the settlement in the evening. A medium sized trade town with a high concentration of cultivators. 

A humble tea house looked good to Sen Jia so they stopped for refreshments before seeking an inn for the night.

Everyone in the Jianghu, as well as regular people, are celebrating the demise of the wicked demonic sect leader. News spread as on the wind.

There are many spreading the rumors of his well known wicked deeds alongside those regaling all that will listen with tales of the heroic righteous sects efforts to defeat him. 

Sen Shuai wondered if Sen Jia would recognize it's him they are talking about. Would Sen Jia throw him away? Feel regret for picking him up? Kill him or maybe hand him over? Sen Shuai wasn't overly concerned about his fate, only curious.

"Pay it no mind, little Shuai. You belong to me and are nothing but a humble guide. If any attempt to bother you, I'll stop them."

So he does know my identity and he'll still stop them? He'll protect me? Does he think I'm afraid?  

An indescribable feeling rose, creating waves in Sen Shuai's heart. But his face remained placid, his eyes calm and pure.

A righteous sect young cultivator kept looking over. "You look very familiar, in fact, you look oddly similar to that demonic sect beast we just killed recently." 

The man the young cultivator was addressing made no reply nor did he acknowledge he was spoken to in any way.

"So you are saying the demonic sect leader is almost as handsome as my guide?" The beauty spoke. "Sounds like it's worth having a look. Where can I find him?"

 "He's dead." 

 "Pity, there are too few handsome men in the world." 

The young cultivator ignored the beauty and continued addressing the look alike. "That sect has a well-known mark they place on members. I'm sure you wouldn't mind showing your shoulder, would you? Just so we can all see you're of no relation to that demonic sect." 

He reached over arrogantly to reveal the shoulder, certain these men with no indication of cultivation could only bow and scrape before him. 

His hand was stopped halfway. He was startled and increased strength to his arm but still didn't move a hair. He looked wide-eyed and furious at the beauty, "Mind your own business. Do you know who you are messing with?"

The beauty looked back serenely as though he hadn't a care in the world. "Do not casually touch what is mine." The beauty barely seemed to move and there wasn't so much as a tremble in his gaze as he tossed the young cultivator aside.

"you-you how dare you!" the man yelled and pointed, enraged at this treatment. Not even bothering to get up off the floor.

"What's happening here?" A senior brother of the troublemaker asked.

"Merely a toad lusting after a swan's flesh. I've reminded it of its proper place. Scraping on the floor." Sen Jia stated as though talking to the air.

"What did you say?" The young cultivator was still sitting on the ground, to outraged to even notice this fact.

The beauty ignored him completely and sipped elegantly at his tea.

The senior brother had far more experience and felt a slight but ominous pressure from the deceptively serene beauty. He felt as if he stood on the edge of disaster. One more push and that delicate looking man would rip them apart. He quickly bowed an apology and pulled his junior brother away to safety.

"Little Shuai, look how I've defended your honor and still not so much as a slip in your expression. Is your face made of wood or stone?" 

Sen Shuai remained passive. "There was no need."

Sen Jia leaned very close to his ear and spoke breathily. He took his time, slowly emphasizing each word. Sen Jia's gaze drifting over Sen Shuai's face as if seeing something incredibly precious. 

"Rather than stone, you've been finely carved from the highest quality piece of Jade." 

Sen Shuai felt a pleasant, tingling warmth travel from his ear throughout his body.

The surrounding patrons of the tea house had taken a keen interest in this beauty who seemed to be a sleeping dragon. Now they were all left eating dog food at this shameless flirting scene. And who's your little Shuai, that man is much taller than the beauty and several kgs heavier. 

Is this some sweet pet name between lovers, or just some joke? No one knew whether to laugh or cry.

Outside the troublemaker had a belly full of complaints.

"Senior brother, why did you apologize to that fairy? He was rude and deserved a lesson."

"A lesson huh, and who would give it to him? Not you and not me. Be aware of mountains beyond mountains."

The small cultivator felt discontent in his heart but he trusted in this senior brother that had always guided him well. He bowed respectfully. 

"Thank you for your timely interruption then senior brother." If his senior brother said it was so then he escaped with his little life just now. He couldn't help but shiver at the thought.