4: On Our Way

Sen Jia the Beauty~~~

The forest would break open revealing grand vistas and sweeping hills on occasion. It was all so lovely that an inspired Sen Jia would often sing or hum as they traveled. 

He absently wondered what sort of instruments would be available in this world. He didn't plan on pursuing music formally here, but he enjoyed singing and playing for his own entertainment. 

As night fell, he finally remembered his companion and thought he may need rest. Sen Shuai was only a normal man after all. 

"Little Shuai, are you tired? We can rest for the night."

"No need." Sen Shuai had trained his whole life, even without cultivation he was more physically fit than most and could continue at this pace steadily for days.

"It isn't safe traveling at night." Sen Jia narrowed his eyes.

"The full moon will light our path." He continued walking.

"Stop walking, sit down!" Let me be considerate of your weakness you stupid man.

Sen Shuai immediately stopped as he had been commanded. 

Sen Jia huffed and looked around the clearing.

He decided on a good spot and brought a small one-room shelter out of his space. There was a sizable porch with a couch to lounge on while viewing the moon and night sky. Inside was a large plush futon and quilts. 

Sen Jia expected Sen Shuai to be impressed, but the other man wore a blank expression as usual. He sighed and waved Shuai over. 

"We'll eat on the porch and admire the night for a bit."

Sen Shuai obediently walked over and sat on the couch next to Sen Jia. 

Sen Jia really wanted to find something that this wooden faced man would react to. He brought out simple but delicious travel food from his space thinking maybe a particular flavor would do it.

First sweet, nothing. Second sour, still nothing. 

Huhuhu how are you with spicy little Shuai? Still nothing? Not even a flicker in his gaze. Truly a block of wood. 

Sen Jia nibbled absently at a snack as he thought of how he could strike next. He was determined to see some reaction from Sen Shuai. It had become a challenge he was committed to beat.

His expression turned evil as he thought of a good idea. "Time to sleep little Shuai."

The futon was sizeable so even though there was only the one bed, two men could easily lay without touching. That wouldn't happen though. 

Time to eat tofu. I'll see your face change tonight little Shuai.

Sen Jia hummed happily as he removed his outer robes then stuffed himself under the quilt,  just his eyes peered out eagerly at Sen Shuai.

Sen Shuai the Villain~~~

Sen Shuai couldn't remember being so at ease for a meal. He didn't worry about poison or sneak attacks. Viewing the moon with Sen Jia was relaxing and peaceful.   

Just as he thought it was peaceful Sen Shuai felt a chill go down his spine. Sen Jia seemed to be looking at him as a hunter looks at prey.

 As soon as he climbed under the quilt, Sen Jia stuck to him. Sen Shuai's expression remained still, without an ounce of change as Sen Jia's busy hands wandered. He felt nothing but slight curiosity. 

Sen Jia seemed to have finished his siege when after the time it takes to drink a cup of tea he huffed once, sighed heavily then snuggled against Sen Shuai's side and quickly fell asleep.

He should have been ready for sleep too yet he lay there trying to remember the last time he shared a bed with anyone or if he ever had. He used to cry for it as a child but father would hit him and yell. He quickly learned to sleep alone.

How can this man sleep so soundly in my arms? The arms of a monster, a murderer.

He gazed at Sen Jia's sleeping face that was so close he could see his long eyelashes tremble. He reached out to gently touch the tips before he realized his action and retracted his hand.

If Sen Jia was awake now he would have caught a slight change in Sen Shuai 's expression. His gaze softened, lips turned in the tiniest hint of a smile.

What do you dream of beauty?

A/N Sen Shuai may be immune to blunt attacks, but he isn't as much of a block of wood as Sen Jia thinks.