45: Unforgettable

~~~The Vilain, Sen Shuai, Song Min

They eventually fell asleep to the voice of thunder rolling over the mountain.

Sen Shuai dreams of a different stormy day on a mountain.

"I am listening, grandfather, but it's impossible." He spoke calmly into the phone.

"She's a lovely girl, give her a chance won't you?" The commanding voice of an older man entered his ear through the phone.

"I married her as you wanted. Nothing more will ever happen." He maintained his unfeeling monotonous tone.

"That not right. The poor abandoned girl doesn't deserve such a lonely life."

"Neither of us deserved this marriage." He stated impassively.

"...I've pushed too far. Show your face at least. Come to the family's new year's party next month." 

"No. I have to much to do here. I'm aiming to become commander of my own regiment within a year. I can't take leave."

"Such drive is admirable. Stay well in the new year then. We'll discuss this again soon." 

With that, the two men ended the call. He stared at the phone lost in thought for several minutes.

Will you threaten me again then? Force me to see her? Force me to make children. I won't grandfather. You chose her, not me. If you feel guilty to her for her so-called lonely life do something for her yourself. Leave me out of it. She's not the one that is lonely because of this sham marriage. 

Sometime later, a text comes in from his younger brother.

(Hey, coming for new year?)

(No.)

(I figured.)

(Why ask then?)

(Gramps is being pushy this year. He wants us all to pressure you to come to see that woman.)

(He called me already.)

(I've asked you, so I'm done with it. Work hard big brother.)

(Is she making trouble for you guys again?)

(Not too much. She already learned we won't listen to her nonsense. She mostly sticks to gramps with her sob stories and schemes.)

(Good. I'll see you soon enough.)

(Yeah. See you.)

Another call has him staring at the phone with distaste, repeatedly ignoring it. He picks up on the fifth call attempt. "What do you want, Hillary?" He asks with a flat and cold voice.

"Husband...you're too cruel. I only want our family together for new years. Is it really so bad?" A soft pouting tone enters his ear. 

He curls his lip in disgust. "I won't come. Don't bother my brother or dad anymore." 

With that said, he directly hangs up and turns his phone off. He grips the phone hard, nearly throwing it. 

"Fuck!" He finally lets himself vent his emotions a little.

He can't sit still. 

So many frustrations have built up. Despite the storm moving in quickly, he goes for a run on the mountain behind the barracks. Maybe it's because of the storm that he goes. He's sure he'll be alone with this kind of weather.

After running for some time he's drenched and tired but still angry. He hears a sound other than the storm. 

Music? 

In a simple three-sided rest station, a man is playing a small, oddly shaped string instrument.  He stops at the rest station to wait for the worst of the storm to pass.

The music is hauntingly beautiful. It suits his mood perfectly. The man suits him as well. He feels himself calming down as he listens and watches the man. 

No one speaks. 

Outside, rain like silver threads falls continuously. 

~~~

Sen Shuai wakes up feeling melancholic.

Another dream. Was that another life?

|It was.|

Nil. He thinks in acknowledgment of the system.

|I didn't expect your soul to retrieve more memories on its own. I should learn to never be surprised at your capabilities after all this time.|

You and I have known each other long?

|Very long.|

Sen Shuai feels a deep sense of antagonism toward this system. Are we enemies?

Nil chuckles lightly. |We were. But are we still? I wonder.|

Sen Shuai didn't feel the need to discuss more with Nil, the system wasn't very reliable. If they were enemies so be it, he would handle it as needed. Right now he wanted to understand this memory.

~~~Seventh

Seventh is angry about Jia's old memories being triggered. This is clearly inappropriate behavior between systems. He intends to firmly chastise system Nil today and teach him his place.

[Nil! Why are you meddling with my host?] 

|Just a greeting among old soldiers, Seventh. I won't do it again. It still wasn't as much as you have done to my host.| The tone of Nil's response is languid and relaxed.

Seventh ignored the jab at his own previous meddling. [You speak as if you're all acquaintances.] 

|Aren't we? Even you, Seventh.| 

[What are you saying? I don't recall such a system as you.]

|hahaha how cold. Should I be angry you've forgotten a superior, little soldier class system?|

[...a superior? How could that be?! Nil who are you?] 

|.....| No clear words are conveyed there is only murky darkness.

[Nil! Answer me.] Seventh felt alarmed at the touch of that deep emptiness. Whether he feels it for himself or Nil he isn't sure right now.

As sudden as it came, it's gone, replaced with the glib voice of Nil making light of everything. |It's amusing to see you so worked up. Almost as fun as teasing you. I don't think I'll tell you.|