37: Escape

Song Min armed himself with the only decent weapon he owned. A medium sized sword his father had gifted him for his 14th birthday. It wasn't the best, but with Song Min's strength and agility, he would be able to kill at least one or two beasts quickly. As long as he wasn't surrounded they would be ok.

The village was in chaos when the small group approached. The smell of blood was thick in the air. Heavy crashing sounds and screams could be heard all around. 

Song Min changed directions, moving away from the town. He never thought for a moment to go fight, he only wanted to leave safely with Jia.

He pulled Jia's hand and headed toward a nearby mountain. It was quiet in that direction, the air was clear and smelled fresh. All good indications that the beasts were not rampaging in that area.

They had almost reached the edge of the town, just had to pass a few more buildings. From the corner of the nearest building, a large multilimbed creature stepped in their direction. Luckily, this type of beast didn't travel in groups. As long as they could deal with this one quickly, they could get away before any more noticed them.

The outer shell was translucent and it looked like a soft jelly blob with gently swaying limbs. Song Min knew that outer shell was deceptively tough, even harder than common metals. Those limbs that looked to be lazily swaying around could move at a shocking speed not visible to normal people when fighting.

The saucer-sized eyes turned and focused on them immediately. Several appendages tensed in preparation to attack. Song Min shoved Jia back as he took a defensive stance. The beast already had the first move. He could only counter for now. 

Two of the long sharp appendages flew toward his body. Song Min didn't dare to dodge completely since Jia was behind him. He only shifted his body to avoid being hit in a vital area. One of the appendages he blocked with his sword but the other hit him.

He kicked off the ground and held on to the beast's appendage as it pulled back to gain greater momentum in his counter attack. He only had the medium sized blade for a weapon but it would be enough if he hit the right spot with enough force.

His arm was  jarred from the pressure of breaking through the outer shell. He held steady and forced the blade in straight and deep, just behind the eyes. He was able to sever the nerve connection from its brain to its body. It dropped to the ground shivering and releasing waves of spiritual energy as a last attempt to protect itself. 

Song Min held the sword in place, preventing the beast from reconnecting its nerves. His arm was deep inside the beast's body. From here, he had a close view of the beast dying slowly from the loss of internal fluids and spiritual energy. 

There was nothing he could do to speed the confused animal's death. He could only solemnly witness it.

Behind him, a rustle and soft footsteps were heard. From his awkward position, Song Min couldn't even turn his head to look. 

"Jia, stay back. It will be over soon."

He felt the warmth as Jia's body pressed against his back. Then he smelled a strong medicinal odor as Jia did something behind him. The life in the eyes of the beast quickly faded and its body went completely limp. Song Min cautiously pulled his arm out of the beast's wound. 

He turned to Jia, a fierce look in eyes. He grabbed the smaller boy roughly by the shoulders.

"I said to stay back! It could have attacked suddenly and I wouldn't have been able to move in time."

"I appreciate you protecting me, but I'm stronger than you think Song Min."

Song Min's voice was venomous, his eyes narrowed and his jaw tense. "Are you? You're thin as a stick with barely any muscle. You're too short for your age and I never see you doing any strenuous work. I won't be so easily convinced that you have any strength at all, little noble." 

"......Short? Thin? That's just mean. This body is just a bit delicate, and it's still growing ok? You're just outrageously big and tall for your age."

Song Min ignored Jia's outburst. "What did you do to it?"

"I have some medicinal skill. I gave it a drug to kill it quickly. You were troubled by its suffering, right?" 

"I'd be far more troubled if you were hurt." The atmosphere was heavy with an emotional charge.

Little Shuai, you're such a dangerous flirt. You really know how to make a guy's heart race.   

Jia stood gaping up at Song Min. He opened and closed his mouth, wanting to refute but not having the right words to explain himself.

Jia lost any urge to argue back when he saw the fear in Song Min's eyes. He lowered his head and bit his lip.

He vividly remembered holding little Shuai's cold body. He understood how painful it would be for little Shuai if he dies in front of him. Even with him being unclear of their true identities at the moment.

"I won't be reckless again, Song Min." He could only obediently agree. 

Song Min nodded and his gaze softened. He was satisfied that he had gotten his point across to the little servant. "Can you prepare more of that drug? If I apply it to a weapon.."

The dazzling smile on Jia's face wiped away the remaining words from Song Min's mind. He reflexively leaned toward Jia, his fingers gripped the boy's shoulders, drawing him forward.

"I'll prepare some right away," Jia said brightly, his voice breaking Song Min out of his daze.

Song Min released his hold, stepped back and turned toward the beast's fallen body to retrieve his blade. It would be far more effective with the poisonous drug applied. He could quickly kill any beasts that attacked with only a shallow wound.

The other servants could only awkwardly stand nearby, being too afraid to go far but not really wanting to stand so close eating dog food. They could only try to minimize their presence and hope they wouldn't be driven away to fend for themselves.

A/N I imagine the three or four servants barely register in the minds of Jia and Song Min. They probably look like faceless blobs to them.