34: Noble Identity

~~~The Villain, Sen Shuai, Song Min

On the way home, Song Min wondered if Jia really went out with the intention to buy that item after all. 

He had initially thought the little fool randomly pointed out a store and was too proud to admit it. But what if that wasn't the case. The thought of Jia buying a gift for someone sent unpleasant ripples through his heart.

Who could it be for? 

Song Min had never noticed the servant interact with anyone but him. However, he was home all day while Song Min was at the training academy...

Maybe he didn't need any female servants in the estate anymore... 

Maybe he didn't need any servants but Jia... 

No, that would be to much work for one lone servant. I'll need to watch carefully to see who it is, then send them away. 

As Song Min walked through the main gates of the academy people looked his way. Whispered rumors of an out of control servant could be heard. 

It seems that group of brats had already been busy talking big, making wild claims about how they would get him back for the humiliation, teach that servant his place and the like.

Song Min actively ignored the overly loud conversations while deciding to keep anyone from getting a chance to catch Jia alone. With my status, I can't protect even this small servant. Until I get stronger it's better to avoid trouble.

When Song Min arrived at the training hall he was immediately summoned to the chief officer's courtyard. Song Min felt a knot of anxiety grow as he walked to the courtyard.

Somehow this is becoming a big deal...

The group of nobles Jia had scolded were also at the courtyard of the chief officer but they all appeared nervous rather than the gloating he expected. 

He knocked respectfully at the officer's door and waited.

"Enter."

Song Min opened the door and bowed to the officer once before entering the room. 

"Come in, welcome. No need for such formality. Song Min, today you are being recognized for your recent improvements. You have worked hard. As recognition, you have been advanced to the next class level. For today, go and have a look, the instructors have already been informed."

Song Min hid his surprise behind a calm face.

"Oh and Song Min, that servant of yours. Is he well? He didn't receive any injuries from those brutes or a cold from the weather?"

"Thanking sir for his concern. My families servant is healthy and uninjured." No matter what the chief said about being less formal, Song Min didn't dare. This officer was often cold and harsh to him in the past, blowing up over the smallest of blunders. 

"Good good. Take this uniform showing your new rank."

What is going on? Such a large change in attitude...very strange. He's weirdly interested in my servant too. 

Song Min felt a strong revulsion and cold shiver down his spine as he wondered.

Could Jia's purchase be related to this man in any way....?

Song Min was distracted all the rest of the day during training and made some mistakes, but wasn't scolded or ridiculed. When he arrived back home he immediately questioned Jia about this matter.

"Well...that... it's probably because I'm the from the Qin house."

Descendents of the Qin house had developed immunity to the aura of the Spirits. They didn't get particularly strong like the other noble clans, but the immunity allowed them to work in key political jobs among both the Spirits and the military clans. Essentially, this house had powerful standing and the respect of both races. 

This was a major revelation. Song Min narrowed his eyes at the little noble. ".....why are you playing at being a servant?"

"For a very good reason! Because we're broke," Jia stated without an ounce of hesitation.

"....broke..." Such a bold declaration.

"That's right, bankrupt. After selling off some land and consolidating as much as we could it was still no good. So gramps sent off my siblings and me, my cousins and even my father to work for other families."

"Gramps told me..." 

Jia stood especially tall while he mimicked a high-class old gentleman's speech and elegant manner. 

"... improve relations, learn important skills, and most important of all..." 

Jia's eyes flashed as a calculating smile changed the elegant appearance to one of an old fox.  ".....make that money."

"....." So this is why he doesn't really act like a servant. "Why serve me in this backwoods training academy?"

"I was working with your father, he sent me here."

He was sent directly by father? Not grandfather? 

Song Min's father had never treated him badly and had even visited a few times a year. He was the only family member Song Min had seen since being sent away for training. He was also the only family member Song Min had a decent impression of. He had never been especially close or warm but he spoke normally to Song Min and never looked down on him as most of the family and servants did.

If the servant was chosen by father it meant Song Min was expected to benefit in some way from the interaction. Father was a strict man, after all, everything he did was to improve Song Min's strength. Even leaving the management of the servants to Song Min. If Song Min wasn't emotionally strong enough to handle some servants how could he keep it together fighting against their enemies in the future?

This revelation cleared up a lot of his questions but he still had the one he wanted an answer to the most.

So, in the end, who is that mysterious item for?

A/N Song Min eating vinegar. Don't worry Song Min, it's for you. Look forward to it.