39: A Doctor's Warmth

~~~ The Villain, Song Min, Sen Shuai

The group traveled silently. The servants felt more and more hopeless, Jia observed Song Min anxiously for indications of his injury worsening and Song Min carefully watched their surroundings for signs of beasts.

There's no way of knowing how widespread this surge is or how long it's been planned. Since the weavers in the forest already nested it means they were here before this surge. All of the academy cabins are likely already occupied by beasts.

Song Min gave up on the idea of resting at any of the academy's cabins. He knew of a well hidden, old run down trapper's cabin. He thought a while, trying to remember the location, then altered his direction a bit to head for it. They should be able to make it there by nightfall.

Finally, Jia couldn't stand it anymore when he saw Song Min stumble over nothing. "Song Min, you need to rest. Your injury will get worse if we continue."

"No helping it. We have to keep moving." Song Min was on edge, all of his senses pushed to the max to keep them out of danger.

"Drink this at least. Lean on me anytime you feel unstable. Tell me immediately if your vision gets blurry." Jia's tone of voice was very strict and commanding.

Song Min took the bitter concoction Jia handed him, using drinking it to hide his face. He couldn't help but smile at Jia's string of demands. He wasn't used to someone taking care of him like this. The feeling was pretty good. He felt even more determined to protect the pretty noble boy at his side.

They moved more slowly now, always alert for beasts or traps. They still hadn't made it yet after the sun had set, Song Min was familiar with the area and still able to move along with only the light of dusk. 

It's close, I'm sure of it. The forest is much more overgrown than the last time I was here. As long as there aren't spirit beasts already there, it will be a good place to rest a few days.

Jia pulled at Song Min's sleeve. "Are you looking for that?" He pointed to a corner of a roof peaking out of some ivy.

"Stay hidden here until I've made sure it's safe." Song Min remained vigilant, taking his time to sweep the area for any indications of beast activity. It was fully dark before he was satisfied the shelter would be safe to enter.

~~~The Beauty, Sen Jia 

As the sun began to set the forest cooled quickly. 

Jia's worry increased as the temperature decreased, the chill would be harder on the injured Song Min. They needed a shelter of some kind fast. Everywhere he looked he saw nothing but trees lit up by the reds and oranges of a fiery sunset. The wind blowing through the treetops sent tiny, bright red leaves rustling and falling around them like embers from a fire. 

The scene was warm but the air was cold.

The sun had set, the forest was barely lit. Jia was about to toss out his own shelter from his space behind some trees, pretend to find it and forcibly treat Song Min and make him rest.

[Administer. There is a shelter ahead 100 meters on the left.]

Jia pulled at Song Min's sleeve.

~~~ 

Waiting for Song Min to return irked Jia. 

He knew from Seventh that Song Min was ok and he also knew the area was safe. But how could he convince Song Min? He could only let him check for himself. While waiting, Jia had Seventh help him place some items from his storage into the cabin to make it more comfortable. A bed, couch, blankets, heavier clothes, water and dry food appeared in the cabin while Song Min scouted the forest.

Finally, Song Min returned and led them into the cabin. There was a large, open room with a small side room. Jia pulled Song Min to the smaller room, slamming the door behind him, leaving the other servants to their own devices. Jia pushed him to sit down on the bed and pulled Song Min's shirt off.

"Tsk... It's opened back up and you feel feverish. You've pushed yourself too hard. We need to stay here for at least a week, longer is better. No arguments." Jia commanded as he unwrapped the bloodied bandages from Song Min's side. 

"En."

"Drink this." He said curtly as he shoved another medicinal drink into Song Min's hands. He had to work quickly, the shelter was only slightly warmer than outside. They couldn't light a fire and reveal their location. 

Song Min obediently drank the medicine while he watched Jia's well-practiced movements. Now that they had some measure of safety, Song Min's exhaustion was clearly catching up to him. He hadn't even questioned how the drink was hot in this situation. Jia's hands moved with a precision and grace that held all of Song Min's attention until Jia finished the wrapping and started to dress Song Min in a heavier shirt. 

"So warm.." Song Min said so softly that Jia barely heard him.

"Mhm, you have a fever. It'll get better soon." Jia was completely engrossed in treating Song Min and getting him comfortable. He didn't notice the intensity in Song Min's eyes.

"I mean you, Jia." 

Jia was about to push him under the bed covers when he felt a warm hand caress from his ear along his jaw to his chin. He looked up in surprise meeting Song Min's hazy gaze. Song Min was so close he could feel hot breath across his lips. In the next moment, Jia felt hot lips replace the breath. 

He was pulled down to the bed on top of Song Min as the kiss deepened. Song Min's hand was behind his head holding him close, his other arm around his back. Jia kissed back eagerly. His tongue searching Song Min's mouth, sliding together with Song Min's.

Song Min's arms slowly lost strength as he fell unconscious, his body relaxing onto the bed. Jia sighed, pecked his lips and cuddled against his larger body, pulling the blankets over them both. 

"You better do more of that when you get better." He reached up, softly brushing Song Min's hair back from his face.

~~~System Nil

|System reboot initializing...|

A/N For so long the only thing I had written for this chapter was..... Find shelter, have cute interactions, kiss..... The next chapter has been nearly done for a while, the one after that like half done....this chapter has been holding me up...day after day staring at that one line.....so vexing!