43: The Administrator

Jia moved to the edge of the bed and stood up. He took a step toward the door when Sen Shuai caught his wrist. "Stay. We'll talk about your hidden depths."

"Yes, I'll tell you everything. I need to take care of some biological needs first at the outhouse. I'll be right back." 

"Then be careful outside."

"The systems can scan and see what is around. There isn't anything dangerous nearby."

"How convenient." Sen Shaui nodded in genuine appreciation.

"Sorry I didn't tell you before," Jia said as he wrung his hands and did his best to look guilty and sorry.

"I wouldn't have listened then, don't worry about it. None of my efforts to get us here safely were necessary though, were they?"

Sen Jia felt genuinely guilty now for letting little Shuai work so hard. So he piled on the flattery."I was impressed with how good you were at fighting that beast, so brave and strong. My heart raced at how noble you looked. And how carefully you traveled through this mountain. You're so skilled and smart."

Sen Shuai caressed Jia's cheek and smiled softly at Jia's cute attempt to make sure he didn't feel useless. "I had remembered some of my previous training."

Jia's was dazed again by that smile. He reached over, touching Sen Shuai's lips with his fingertips. "When you do that my thoughts go all muddled."

"Good." Sen Shuai pulled Jia into his arms softly kissing his neck, nipping his Adam's apple and leaving a very noticeable mark on his collarbone before he released him to go outside.

When Jia returned, the two lounged on the bed all day. Jia took snacks, drinks and medicine out of his storage. They spent a quiet day talking, kissing, holding and touching each other. 

"How did you end up with a system?"

"It happened during the war. My regiment took out the system Queen, ending the hive mind connection." Jia paused for a while, his expression dimmed. "We all died on that mission. A soldier class system forcibly joined to my soul."

Shadows of anger and bitterness passed over his face as he spoke about his past. His fingers clenched in a tight fist, his jaw tense. Sen Shuai held his hands and kissed them to bring Jia out of his dark memories.

"Now I'm the strongest and longest continuous system user there is." Jia looked proud and relaxed again.

"Who were you before?"

"I was a doctor, a famous surgeon, back before the systems became widely known. Later, when humanity rebelled against the systems control, I joined the rebels."

"As a field medic?"

"The best field medic! My regiment was the top elites. We were key in many system defeats during the war." 

"When did it end?"

"After I fell to a system, I lost all touch with reality. At some point, peace treaties were drafted and a kind of coexistence was achieved. Humans and systems from then on had the choice to join together or part ways at any time."

"You kept being a system user?"

"Yes, with the same system the whole time since the war.....Seventh and I.....worked through our issues. We eventually gained respect for each other. I wouldn't say we are friends or anything, but we have a decent working relationship."

Sen Shuai felt a spark of jealousy toward Jia's system that's been with him through so much.

"It's been hundreds of years since then. I stopped using my original name long ago. I'm known as the Administrator now."