40: System Nil

~~~The Villain, Sen Shuai, Song Min

|System reboot complete.|

Song Min was in bed next to Jia, adrift in his own subconsciousness when this notification rang through his mind.

...what?

|This is System Nil greeting Host.| An odd voice resonated through his sluggish thoughts.

Song Min's eyebrows furrowed and his lips pulled into a slight frown in his sleep.

|Should I apologize for the late arrival, Host?| The voice was smooth, dark and not at all apologetic. It seemed a little familiar.

....

|Then I won't be courteous. Host, these are the tasks you must complete to succeed in this world.|

A slight pain in his temple had Song Min frowning deeper as unfathomable information flooded into his mind. This was information regarding the Song Min of this world. His death, his regrets and his wishes as his soul left his body to be replaced by the current Song Min's soul with the system Nil attached firmly in the middle, a visible inky mass.

|Do you understand, Host?| 

No.

Mocking laughter flooded his thoughts. |Do your best, little Host.|

Song Min contemplated the information, sorting it and comprehending it bit by bit as he regained consciousness.

If I don't do the tasks?

|As long as you fulfill at least half of them, I'll be satisfied.|

If I do none?

|Nothing much. I'll just abandon you for a different host. You'll return to the normal soul flow and forget everything.| The voice sounded amused and unconcerned.

Everything? I'll forget Sen Jia? 

|Yes. Like any normal soul, you'll forget the previous lives.|

.....

|Do you remember, you accepted me so you could chase after him even past death.|

I do remember now, but where is he? 

Song Min was fully awake now, he had a complicated expression as he watched the little servant Jia sleeping next to him. 

The laughter filled his mind again. |Didn't you already find him? Or was it, he found you? Well, it's nothing to do with my purposes. Just do the tasks and it'll work out..... probably.|

Already found him? Perhaps...

The complicated expression turned hopeful. 

I'll need to look for more proof. If I accepted him and he wasn't Sen Jia, how could I face the real one?

Sen Shuai didn't intend to share this thought with system Nil but he didn't know how to manage his thinking yet.

|I'll give you a hint, little Host. That man you want is no normal soul.|

Song Min's eyes sharpened. Not normal, meaning Sen Jia won't forget his lives?  What do you know of him?

|I know he marked your soul with that little bobble on your ear. Even if you do nothing he'll find you, little Host. So just relax and do your tasks.|

Song Min reached for his ear and felt where the jade loop used to be. He felt a difference in the skin there, but the earring wasn't present.

~~~

[Administrator, the system in Song Min has activated.]

Sen Jia opened his eyes.

A/N I personally really love system Nil. He's so cheeky and arrogant. I'm looking forward to his interactions with the super serious, godly assistant type personality of system Seventh.