THIRTY FIVE

- Juliet's POV -

Juliet wanted to erase this feeling of dread. She felt cold and hollow and she wanted to cry. She had a math exam tomorrow and she didn't understand anything. Tears formed in her eyes as she panicked and stared at her stupid notes. What to do what to do what to do -

Her oven rang, signalling that her bread had finished baking. She rushed to her fridge and poured some coconut water in a glass to calm down. She downed the entire cup. It did nothing to soothe her. She stared at her notes again. Dreaded the exam.

What to do what to -

Her door rang. She went to open it, her eyes crazed and slightly red and -

"Alex?"

"Could you explain this? I find the circulatory system confusing and - Juliet, are you okay?" He asked, his voice filled with concern.

She composed herself and said, "sure. Come on in. I'll explain it to you." She closed the door behind him. "The circulatory system is really easy when you divide it. It's just the pulmonary circulation and then the double - "

"Juliet," he interrupted quietly, "are you okay?"

She was quiet.

He glanced at the table and the notes filled with mathematics. His eyes softened. "Jules - "

"I'm fine," she said quickly.

He stared at her, determined. "I help you with math, you help me with biology and chemistry?" He knew very well that Juliet had to feel like she was helping more. Only then would she cave and let him help her.

Her lips quivered a little. "Fine." Her hand shook a little as she sat on the chair. She was terrified of exams.

Terrified of failing and not doing well. Of disappointing parents she already hated.

Alex gently pulled her back up into a standing position and then - well, then he put his arms around her. He was very awkward, and tried patting her back a little to make it more "natural."

Juliet's shoulders were shaking.

"Jules - ?"

She was laughing. "You give the worst hugs."

Alex's shoulders drooped, he quickly pulled back his arms and looked away and -

She hugged him tight. "It's okay. I'll teach you how to hug. I'm great at them."

He smiled a little.

***

Juliet wanted to burst into tears.

Tears of happiness.

She was aware of every question in the math exam and knew how to do it. She wasn't a hundred percent sure but she did the procedure required and calculated very carefully. But she attempted everything.

When she ran into Alex in the corridors after exiting her exam hall, she rammed into him like an enraged bull and hugged the shit out of him.

"Juliet? What's - "

"I did it!" She exclaimed, beaming and glowing with happiness. "I answered every single question!"

And he grinned. Alex actually grinned. "See. I told you it wasn't that hard. You just need to understand the concept and remember the formulas. Understanding the question is important as well."