THIRTY NINE

- Juliet's POV -

Juliet shut the door behind her, and settled on the bed.

Alex went into the bathroom, and a few minutes later, Juliet heard the shower start. For some reason, she started to blush and immediately went to her closet to keep herself busy. She took out her pyjamas and made everything ready for the next day.

Soon enough, Alex came out of the shower. Unfortunately, he came out fully clothed in sweat pants and a short sleeved dark blue t-shirt.

She was a tad bit disappointed. She had this tiny notion from books and movies that all boys walked out of the shower and into their room atleast half naked.

Juliet took her turn, and after half an hour, came out refreshed and clothed and feeling nice and warm. She was drying her hair when Alex said, "your friends seem like wretched people."

Juliet smiled a little. She loved how honest he always was. There was no beating around the bush. Just straight truth delivered on a platter. It was up to you - eat it up, or not?

But she didn't say anything. She, oddly, didn't feel like talking. Her mood was off. If it hadn't been off, she would've defended them somehow. Maybe. Would she?

Seeing Nikolai and Maya and Lara all in one place was like a nightmare come true. She was usually on good terms with all of the people she had ever dated. No issues at all.

Juliet sighed.

***

- Alex's POV -

He was nervous.

Juliet wasn't talking, which was very unusual. Because this meant that he would have to make the conversation if he wanted to talk to her. Which he did. He liked talking to her. Listening to her.

He just didn't know how to make conversation.

Juliet sighed.

Oh god. She was bored. He felt so disappointed in himself. He wasn't welcoming. Why couldn't he be as bright as Cole? As kind as Adam? He struggled to make friends so much. He wouldn't be surprised if Juliet got bored of him and drifted away soon enough.

Juliet sat on her bed and switched off the light. They were both facing each other, staring quietly.

They just breathed for a few seconds. All was cool and fresh and quiet.

And then, "Alex. I have to tell you something. Very important. Well, maybe not important. But. I just need you to know."

He treaded carefully, softly. "Go on."

"I'm bisexual," she said, bluntly.

Just like that.

That's how quickly it was over. It was out there. Floating. Informative. A fact.

Silence for a few seconds.

And then -

"Okay."

"Okay," Juliet repeated. "Okay?"

He shrugged in the dark. "Okay."

Juliet seemed very annoyed. "Well. What do you have to say to this? You're not weirded out like most people? You don't have a problem being friends with a bisexual person?"

"I don't have a problem if I have a bisexual friend, or anything else, as a matter of fact."

"Or anything else," she repeated vaguely, suddenly thankful he couldn't see her blushing in the darkness.

"Or anything else," he said a little slowly, looking into her eyes, the soft lights from the tall buildings beyond twinkling in his beautiful eyes. He was nervous. He felt adrenaline slowly filter into his system, his heartbeat loud. He was worried she could hear it in the quiet, dark room. He felt like he could swallow the entire world raw. Like he could run a bloody marathon along the very edges of the world.

Juliet stared at Alex.

Alex stared at Juliet.

"Okay," she said.

"Okay," he said, still looking into her green eyes.

Juliet thought, this is turning into some TFIOS by John Green type of shite.

Silence again.

"Maya and Lara were your girlfriends?"

Juliet nodded. "Maya was my first real girlfriend. A secret but... it was real with her. Commitment was there. Lara was my second girlfriend, also a secret. Then Nikolai was my first boyfriend. Not a secret. He cheated on me, and I knew about it, but, to be honest, I dated him just for physical satisfaction, because I liked looking at him and all that. And I guess he can be charming at times. But that was it. And now... now I'm here."

"Why did it end with all of them?"

"Lara was very clingy," Juliet replied. "sensitive. Emotional. Fragile. Ready to commit. I was always at the risk of offending her or hurting her feelings and I didn't like walking on the edges. But she is still a lovely person. She cares a lot."

"Maya?"

"Maya was complicated. She was honestly an experiment to see if I could figure out whether I was a lesbian or not. I still loved her. Don't get me wrong. But I think I was still confused during that time, my seriousness with her kept shifting. It feels all different now... later on I realised I was just bi." Juliet sighed. "Besides, Maya always wanted more. Never satisfied with what she had. So..." Juliet lifted a shoulder. "She cheated on me. Kind of." It was hard to admit to herself, let alone anyone else, but this was the truth. She caught Maya with some girl named Daria, some pretty brunette with green eyes.

"And Nikolai?"

Juliet laughed. "Nikolai was a six month long fling. I dated him fully aware of the kind of boy he was."

"And that was...?" Alex implored.

"A player. A huge flirt. A show off. Arrogant and vain."

"Oh."

Juliet asked Alex, almost hesitantly, "have you ever... being in a relationship before?"

Alex was quiet for some time. "No. I haven't."

"Really?"

"Well, almost, I guess, once, with this girl who liked me. But I wasn't really interested that much."

"So you've never kissed anyone before either?"

"No," he said simply.

"Oh."

"Do you still have feelings for them?" Alex asked flatly. She knew who he meant.

Juliet answered, "none whatsoever."

"Alright." He nodded.

"Are you... straight?" She asked him hesitantly.

"I'm straight," he said.

She said, "okay."

"Good night," he said suddenly.

Juliet nodded back. "Good night."

They both got under the covers of their beds and closed their eyes.

A few minutes later.

"Qatar?" She whispered, hoping he would answer and everything would be back to normal. Scratch that. She felt stupid now. Jesus -

"Doha," he whispered. Her heart swelled.

"Canada?"

"Ottawa."

"Alex?"

"Yes, Jules?"

"Are we good?"

"We're the best," he said softly, tenderly, almost unlike him.

She grinned into the darkness. Happiness swelled within the room and enveloped them in its beautiful warmth.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .