F I F T Y F I V E

- Narrator's POV -

Alex's stepmother, Victoria, was hosting his birthday party. He was currently attending it, with Juliet by his side.

She was breath taking.

Her dress was golden. Her shoes high and black. Her lips red. Her eyes in kohl. Her blonde hair braided and clipped back.

He had told her just how beautiful she looked before leaving the car. She had blushed slightly and told him, "of course I am." He had smiled.

Alex was just dressed in a plain old suit. But Juliet had pulled him close and whispered, "is it just because I really like you, or do you look gorgeous?"

He had flushed, but said, "I think you just really like me."

She had given him a weird look. "That is a hundred percent true."

Right now, his parents were headed his way. He was finally going to introduce her properly.

He was nervous.

"Juliet, dear." Victoria Camden embraced Juliet and smiled as she did so. She was already fond of his partially secret girlfriend.

"Hello, Victoria," Juliet smiled. "It's so nice to see you." She nodded at his father. "It's nice to see you as well, sir."

Mason Camden nodded back. "Hello, Juliet."

Alex took in a breath. "I'm glad you two seem to remember Juliet... my girlfriend," he said the last part slowly, observing them. He prepared himself for the shock.

But Victoria and Mason both grinned. "Oh, we know, dear," his stepmother said. "We all know. We saw you two being all cute at the ball. And then Juliet's mother confirmed it over the phone, of course. We're not stupid." Her eyes twinkled.

"You're not...mad?" He was baffled.

"Why would we be?" Victoria seemed surprised.

Juliet frowned at him. "I'd like to know that as well. Why would they be?" Her hands were on her hips. Uh oh.

He flushed. "I don't know - I - uh - "

Mason laughed. "Let's not torture the poor boy." He clapped his son on the back. "I'm happy for you."

Alex nodded a little weakly. "Right. Thanks."

Victoria told Juliet, "try not to break my boy's heart."

"I break it everyday when I'm not by his side," Juliet sighed dramatically, and then grinned. She squeezed Alex's hand.

Victoria smiled, looking like her cheeks were going to burst, and then hurried away with her husband to talk to the others

Juliet grinned. "Well, that turned out better than expected. You had me believing they would freak out."

"I thought they would," he said, with a bit of wonder in his tone.

She rolled her eyes and kissed his cheek. "Well. They didn't. Now cheer up. You have a hot blonde on your arm, Camden."

He smiled at that. "You're not just any blonde."

"Bloody true. I'm your blonde," she said, her eyes full of humor.

He chuckled. "I suppose I'm your brunet."

"Brunet?" She made a face. "Your hair is black. I believe the term is noiret."

He pinched her cheeks. "When did you become so smart."