S I X T Y T H R E E

- Lia's POV -

Juliet was a wreck.

She wasn't crying tons or anything. No moping. But suddenly, she made each and every single girl on her floor cake. Everybody got one slice of her heavenly culinary skills.

She was suddenly way ahead in class - too ahead. As if she had lots of time on her hand, or wanted to distract herself.

She was too bright. Too chipper. Acted as though nothing had happened, as if she didn't walk away with some incoherent excuse everytime Alex joined them. 

Lia didn't understand why she had to leave all the time, and why not Alex. Then again, Alex was in the group first. Juliet probably felt like an outsider. The two of them didn't speak to each other, let alone even look at each other.

Nyssa and Alex weren't talking, either. They got into an argument the other day, and Lia heard Nyssa screaming, "fine! Be stubborn! Don't hear what I have to say!"

Lia had quickly walked away, because it was rude to peep in on arguments like that. But a part of her so wanted to stay and listen.

Then the other day, she saw Juliet in the library, reading peacefully. And when Alex walked in, she froze and immediately left. Alex had noticed her, and focused on anything else except her figure as she left the library in a hurry.

Poor Juliet. Lia still couldn't believe that she cheated. It just wasn't her. Juliet was not the cheating kind. There must have been some misunderstanding.

Three weeks they've been broken up, Juliet and Alex. Alex was back to his usual uncaring, irritated self - and Juliet just seemed confused with who she was.

It was all very sad.

So here she was, knocking on Juliet's door. She didn't get a response the first time. Then she heard barking. Typhon was back.

Juliet opened the door, she forced a grin. Lia could tell. "Hello, Aaliyah. What brings you here?"

Lia hugged her. "Are you okay?"

Juliet wouldn't move, it was as if she was shocked that someone would ask her how she was. She could feel Juliet's shoulders drop. Lia pulled back a little and she saw that Juliet's smile had dimmed. "I'm okay."

Lia came in and jiggled a bag. "I brought movies with me. Also chocolate."

"I don't like chocolate usually," Juliet said. She closed the door. "It makes my throat sticky."

Lia said, "do you want Italian food, then?"

"No."

Lia sat on the couch, and Juliet plopped next to her. "Do you want to talk about it?" She asked hesitantly.

"I barely know you," Juliet suddenly said, bluntly.

"I know. I barely know you too. But maybe that's why spilling your guts to me will feel easier," replied Lia. "For example. I have a crush on Kaito. Your turn."

Juliet gaped. "Kaito? That bastard? But why? I mean, sure, I curse him all the time but I'm secretly fond of him, but - are you sure?"

Lia chuckled. "Oh, don't worry. It's not serious. I just like ogling him all the time and have the occasionally fantasy. He's not the boy for me."

"I see," Juliet remarked.

"So. You wanna talk?"

Juliet sighed. "Where do I begin?"

***