FORTY FOUR

- Juliet's POV -

Juliet was at a family dinner. Her father called her for it, and mentioned that her grandparents were in town. So she went.

It was a nice, warm weekend, and they were having lunch outside next to the pretty, clear swimming pool. The wind blew gently, and the sun bloomed behind the clouds.

"So," Juliet's grandmother Jeanette said, "that arsehole you used to date got your friend Maya pregnant, eh?"

Nathan choked on his water. "Nikolai got Maya pregnant?"

Juliet shrugged, smiling at Nathan's reaction. He was typically not interested in her life. But now that the two of them were forced to spend a lot of time together as a group, Juliet had to admit, something between them had become easier. "Yup. She's two months in, I think. Or three. I don't really know."

"Atleast Nikolai is a well off chap," Maximus said, sipping his wine.

Juliet rolled her eyes, annoyed. "When will you stop focussing on how much money someone has, father?"

The table became silent. Nathan, for a second, looked like he wanted to smile.

Max swallowed hid food, "I don't."

"Uhuh."

"So," Eleanor said loudly, "how are your studies, Juliet?"

"They're fine," she muttered, "scored second rank. The next exams are in January."

"Second rank." Her grandfather frowned. "Who came first?"

"Alexander Camden," she answered, a little pride in her voice.

Maximus Ashton brightened. "Ah. That smart one. I've always liked that boy."

"Shame that his mother left him," Eleanor said pitifully.

"Korean, is she?" Max asked his wife.

"He's half Chinese," Juliet corrected then.

"Right. Well." Max stretched out a hand. "Please pass the gravy."

Nathan handed over the gravy.

Max said, "you should consider trying to date this boy, Juliet."

Nathan smiled faintly. "Oh, don't worry, I bet she will."

Juliet glared at Nathan. "Thanks."

"Anytime."

Eleanor beamed. "You like him? I can always call Victoria and we can arrange for a date and - "

"Please stop," Juliet begged.

"Alexander seems like a very sensible young boy," Max said sagely. "You would be content with him."

"Thank you for the input, father."

"I'm just letting you know," he said innocently.

"This Alex," Arthur said gruffly, "is he smart? Multi-lingual?"

"He's a genius," Nathan said. "He can speak Chinese, Japanese, and basic Spanish and French."

"How nice," Eleanor remarked.

"His French sucks," Juliet muttered quietly.

"What, darling?"

"Can we please change the topic, mother?" Juliet grumbled.

"Why? Does this boy make you uncomfortable?" Jeanette asked, concerned.

Nathan chuckled quietly, "Oh, he makes her far from uncomfortable."