PROLOGUE

"All limits are self imposed."

Those words rang through my head every moment of every day. Not just the words, but the man who had spoken them that silent, overcast night. I could never forget that lopsided, almost sly smirk, nor the way his hooded eyes sparked with something that surpassed mischief.

If only I had ignored him...

Icarus; the man who had flown too close to the sun. He was embodied within that man, and he was embodied within myself. We were the wings formed from wax and feathers, and together we reached heights that no man nor woman had ever even dreamed of.

...And together, we fell...

A tragically beautiful freefall that would end in nothing but pain and suffering. Regrets and mistakes that were memories made; paving our path towards a bittersweet end.

He could see the light in me, and in return, I could see the darkness that overshadowed him. That's where I had gone wrong. I hadn't done enough to keep him closer to the ground. I hadn't done anything...

...and now...

There had been countless warnings. People tried to save us from the inevitable, but we were flying too fast. We were too high to pay any mind, and that's why...

...that's why...

We were both Icarus, and we were each others sun. Young, naive and headstrong. As careless as they came. He was smart, yet cocky, and I was merely stubborn and brash. We played the lead in a wretched, repetitive tale.

I can still remember how his wings would glow in morning light; a deep, passionate vermilion that would soon symbolise everything that tore us down. It was no longer a colour of power, but a colour of loss. We were gods that fell from grace; we had plenty to show for it, but no matter how many lives we had saved, we could never be saved from ourselves.

We became Icarus...

...and Icarus flew too close to the sun...

...but...

...at least he flew...

***So, I thought I'd upload the prologue...still a wait for this to actually begin, but if I start it earlier it'll be slow updates for a while until at least Irascible is complete. It would help once we get more info for Hawks, too...***