THIRTY SIX: Jetsam

"I honestly thought Hakamata's design choice would be more..." I paused, motioning to the room around me. "...not this..."

Unlike his rather lavish apartment, the condo he had offered to us was rather bare, and the furniture even appeared to be second hand. I actually quite liked it.
"Crazy good view, though..." Hawks hummed as he peered out the window, eyes sweeping over the beach below us.

He had been almost overly attentive since our little talk, and I wasn't sure how to respond to it. Breakfast in bed had been the start of the oddities, and I knew it would only continue to make me feel like his affections were forced. A man scared of losing something could easily make things much worse.

"I'd say it's time to hit the beach." I announced, fixing the tie of my bikini beneath my (F/C) tank top. "The weather has been getting colder lately, so may as well make use of the heat while we have it." Of course, my husband was always at least fifty steps ahead of me, and I almost began to sweat when I turned to find him already waiting by the front door, a surfboard leaning against his side.

Where the hell did he even..?

"Have you ever even surfed before?" I questioned skeptically, pointing to his new accessories. "I've never seen that thing in my life." Thumbing himself, Hawks flashed me that trademark grin, but it just made me all the more cynical.
"I mentioned wanting to try it to Jeanist before we left, and he had it sent here! Can't be that hard, right?"

I married a fucking idiot.

Rolling my (E/C) eyes, I grabbed my towel and bag full of necessities, shoving him and his board out of the door so we could get a move on. I was hesitant to allow myself to be amused by him, because, frankly, I was still so unsure about our situation. Despite finally having a real name to put to his face, I still barely knew the guy. The winged hero was hiding something a lot bigger than that, and it worried me to no end.

Once we had found a nice, clear spot down at the beach, Hawks was sprinting towards the water, lifting off of the sand every so often as his wings flapped excitedly.
"Get ready to be impressed, Sunshine!" He shouted over his shoulder, seafoam catching in the hairs on his legs once he made contact. Ignoring his yelped complaints about the icy water, I pulled my shirt off, again adjusting my bikini straps before laying down upon my back.

The sun was making me feel lazy, and I closed my eyes, trying to drown out the shouts and laughter coming from all areas of the beach. No matter what I thought about, my mind always returned to Hawks. If things didn't change soon, it would be over. There was no denying that. The strength of my doubts were almost as strong as my love for the man, and that in itself was a terrible sign.

I can't just let him sweep me off my feet again...He has to earn back my trust...

"SUNSHINE! CHECK OUT MY RADICAL MOVES!" Propping myself up on my elbows, I tilted my sunglasses down, spying Hawks rushing in towards the shore atop his board. The bastard was cheating, as a flurry of crimson feathers guided and steadied him from below. His board was barely even touching the water.
"Always trying to make everything easier..." I sighed to myself, giving him a lazy wave to show that I had seen him before flopping back down, bending my knee.

A bit of time passed by, and I was occasionally interrupted by Hawks jogging up to our spot and excitedly seeking praise. I had told him I would only be impressed if he managed to ride a wave without the help of his quirk, and of course he boldly insisted that he would do it, just for me. It was kind of amusing, hearing his loud cursing and whining from down in the water.

"Sorry to bother you, but you wouldn't happen to be Songbird by any chance..?" At the sound of an unfamiliar, slightly muffled voice, I cracked an eye open, staring up at the person addressing me. Whoever it was was certainly not dressed for a day at the beach, with a large, dark hoodie, matching gloves, and a black medical mask over his face. The only beachy accessory the guy had was a pair of sunglasses.