SIXTY FOUR: Tomorrow

Dabi really clung to me throughout the next couple of weeks.

It was sickening, having to pretend that his affections were wanted, so much so that I even had to excuse myself to go be sick in the nearest bathrooms. His presence turned my stomach.

"Why don't you ever wear red, Songbird? You looked so good in that dress during our interview.~" Toga sighed, brushing her finger up and down my forearm, which sent shivers down my spine.
"I think Hawks shows enough red for the both of us." I replied as politely as possible, shifting a little further away and stuffing my third muffin into my gob.

As if having been summoned by mention, Hawks strolled into the room,  an arm slung over Twice's shoulders and laughing as though he wasn't planning on double crossing him. It was sad, really, knowing just how much it would hurt the both of them.

"Sunshine, I wanna show you something!" Parting from his faux friend, my husband strode over and leaned over the back of the couch, holding an opened magazine right in front of me. Crumbs fell from my mouth onto the glossy article, but he brushed them away without a word, tapping his finger down. "There's this new restaurant opening in Tokyo! Best chicken this side of the globe, so it says!"

Of course, that wasn't what he was trying to show me. I knew him better than that, and he was well aware. Instead of skimming over the advertisement, I zoned in on the specific word the tip of his gloved finger had tapped against.

Tomorrow.

Wait...tomorrow? We strike tomorrow?!

Without letting the fear show on my face, I leaned my head back so I could look at him, swallowing the glutinous lump of food that didn't want to go down.
"It opens tomorrow. Did you wanna go then, or later, after the hype has died down?" I wanted to be sure. Some kind of confirmation so I wouldn't have to panic over nothing if I was mistaken.

"It has to be tomorrow. Why? Because I already reserved us a table!" Hawks grinned, but I could see past that. He was on the very edge, barely hanging in there. Humming, I reached up and stroked the underside of his chin, humming in thought.
"Well, if you've already gone ahead and done that, how can I refuse?"

Every pro hero this side of Japan is ready for this. We're ready.

"How romantic! Watching you two be all married and shit makes me wanna barf! Can you bring me back a doggy bag?" Twice squeezed in, simultaneously patting both of our heads, and Hawks chuckled, straightening up and starting to lead the body-suited villain back out of the room.

"Sure thing, buddy! Just let me know what you want and I'll bring it all back for ya!" He paused before exiting, turning back to meet my eyes with sharp amber. "I'll see you later, Sunshine. I love you." Off he went, and I sat there in a daze, completely ignoring Toga, who had moved closer to find my pulse.

I wanna speak to Endeavor. Natsuo. Tsunagu. Suzu. Akitsugu...

Abruptly leaping to my feet, I brushed a hand through my loose (H/C) hair, barely glancing over my shoulder at Toga as I started off.
"I think I'm gonna go and do some training. I'm sick of just sitting around doing squat." Not waiting for her response, I left, choosing to just throw myself out of the nearest window instead of using the stairs.

Flying out to the furthest reaches of the courtyard, I landed and tried to compose myself. It was still too soon, in my opinion. The others may have been ready, but I still had so much to learn. I needed to work on myself so I could be of use.

Starting off with some generic stretches, I hummed the only tune that came to mind. The same one Hawks would sing to me whenever I needed comfort. Despite not having done much hero work since being dragged to the Liberation Front, my back ached, and I had to continuously bark back at myself for wanting to go back to lazing around and stuffing my face with comfort food.