SEVENTY: Hope(less)

It had been five days since I had been swept away from the chaos of battle.

Five days, yet my body still wouldn't stop shaking. My pulse had hardly settled. My guts still twisted into knots. I had been transported to a hospital close to home, and the staff were kind and doting.

I hated it.

Tokoyami hadn't stopped apologising to me through teary hiccups, even as he handed me over to the medical crew. Both he and Dark Shadow couldn't say it enough, over and over and over.

I hated it.

There was only one thing that kept me from tipping over the edge of insanity, and I kept it clutched tightly to my chest, refusing to put it down for even a solitary moment. The single red feather I knew as gusty. Somehow, at some point, Hawks had slipped it into my costume.

I needed that.

Not once did I try to listen to the news. It had been such a vile mess out there, how could any of the reports be accurate? The only thing I knew for sure was that Shigaraki had awakened, and many lives, both hero and villain, had been lost.

But not yours...

"Uh, sorry to intrude, Ms. Songbird..." A nurse tapped hesitantly on my doorframe, peering in, but all I could do was lift my head to stare at her. "We have Endeavor at the desk. He wanted to know whether you'd allow him to visit you." Hearing that name, my fingers curled into the canvas sheets.

"Yes." It was all I could manage. Did that mean it was all over? Was it good news? The nurse tottered off, and shortly after, the lumbering man entered, bowing his head almost too respectfully. He was clad in bandages and bruises, but he had come out of the battle alive, which was what mattered.

"(Y/N), I apologise for not coming sooner. I myself was admitted for a night." He greeted, sounding far too exhausted, which matched the bags under his eyes.
"Did they find him?" The hope that swelled in my chest was almost too much. My heart rate monitor began to beep a little faster as he approached.

"We managed to successfully detain a vast number of villains, though many still escaped, including Shigaraki." He began, opting to stand beside my bed rather than taking a seat. "Despite his escape, this is still a win. It shall take a long time for them to rise up again."

That isn't what I asked...

Scooting up against my pillow, I maintained a steady eye contact, barely blinking, which I knew was making him uncomfortable.
"Did they find him?" I repeated my question, and the pro finally sat down at my bedside, sinking his gaze to the metal frame.

"From what I was told, you were incredibly brave. You have good instincts, especially for someone without much experience." Endeavor deflected my question again, moving to fiddle with his fraying gauze. "I'm proud of you. Both Natsuo and Fuyumi are here with me, but I assumed you wouldn't want so many vi-"

"Enji, did they find my husband?!" I cut him off in a fierce hiss, knowing that it was the only way I would be getting any answers. The feather I held against my skin tickled, which was painful to me. Despite being my beacon of hope, it was dulling beneath the man's stare as he finally raised his head.

"I'm...sorry..." Silence blanketed the room, and it felt like I was falling again, only this time, Hawks was completely out of reach. Contradictory to my monitors noise, my exterior was calm as I nodded my head, sinking back down into the pillow.

"Okay...Right. He probably...hid himself...or the Commission picked him up and have him in urgent care somewhere so the p..press doesn't find out..." I rambled, mostly under my breath. "I can wait for him to get better...He knows where to find me..."