TWENTY FOUR: Estranged

Sixteen and a half weeks into the pregnancy, and I had never been more envious of the male species.

They didn't have to experience the feeling of having their bladders slowly squashed against the front of their pelvis, or waking up in the middle of the night with a dead leg and a tiny foot playing soccer with their organs.

Despite all this, I still wouldn't have traded it for the world. Hawks did his best to make as much time for me as possible, and, even though he could be rather intense at times, he was my rock. But even rocks could get on my nerves.

"I look like I swallowed a medicine ball..." I pouted with a full mouth. "Fuck it...I'm not going..." This hadn't been the first excuse I had whipped up to avoid attending my parents' function, but I wasn't ready to just give in.

Hawks didn't respond at first; he was too busy looking absolutely disgusted by the bowl full of meatballs and milk I had been chowing down on, but quickly shook himself out of it.
"Sunshine, you look beautiful. You always look beautiful..." Standing up, he came to hover behind me and wrapped his arms around my swollen middle.

"You're not just saying that?" I turned my head; cheeks stuffed with soggy meat-wads and milk slicking my top lip, and he visibly shuddered before using his favoured feather, Gusty, to steal away my comfort food.
"Even when you're eating all this...unique stuff...You're still beautiful. I'm not lying. Scout's honour!" He nuzzled into my neck, and I leant back into his chest.

"Do we really have to go today..? Can't we wait until...I dunno...their funerals?" I pouted with a tasteless attempt at humour.
"That's dark, even for me..." My fiance chuckled before stepping back and smiling gently. "You've got me, and Tokoyami will be there, too, for when I'm whisked off to smile and wave."

Yeah...but...what if I break down..?

"O..okay..." Turning, I glared at my reflection in the mirror. Even with my bump, the dress was still rather flattering, and with Hawks by my side, I felt a little more confident. Just a smidgen. "I can do this..!"

--------------------------------------------

"I take it back...I can't fucking do this..!" Clinging to Dark Shadow, I had my feet firmly planted on the ground as I stared up at the pristine manor. It was too familiar, and everything was rushing back at full force.

"Aw, come on, Sunshine! What happened to my brave girl?!" Hawks reached out to take my hand, but Dark Shadows slapped him away with a low hiss.
"You can't force her, ya big...uh..forcer!" It snapped; protectively coiling around my shoulders.

"My apologies..." Tokoyami sighed, knowing full well he couldn't do much to influence his sentient quirk when it was in one of its moods.
"It's just...i..if they recognise me...and if they still hate me...what if they try to drag your names through the dirt, too..? Because of me..?" I looked between the two of them, and they shared a concerned glance.

"(Y/N), I can assure you that such foul play wouldn't hinder us in the slightest. As both a hero and hero to be, we would never pay any mind to such nonsensical things." The raven-headed boy confidently adjusted his tie, and Hawks nodded in agreement.
"Couldn't have said it better myself!"

"Y..you guys..." I began to sniffle, and Dark Shadow squeezed me tighter.
"STOP MAKING HER LEAK!" He screeched, but quickly retracted back to Tokoyami's chest when my stomach twitched and whispered "Devil spawn..."

"Come on, Sunshine...Together." Hawks smiled softly; hooking his arm with mine, and began to lead the way up the gravel path. With each crunch of my heels, I felt just a little braver. We didn't even have to knock, as the door swung open to reveal a man in a dapper suit and bow tie.
"Welcome, Mr. Hawks, Sir. We have been expecting you." He bowed and gestured for us to enter. "You may head on through to the courtyard."