SEVENTY ONE: Eventually

"Still haven't heard anything?"

Sighing, I stared into the depths of my tea, disrupting the surface with the tip of my finger.
"No..." I replied vacantly, my foot tapping beneath the table. It matched the ticks of the kitchen clock, echoing off the walls.

"I know it's hard, but stay positive, okay? Heroes always have so much on their plates." Natsuo sat across from me, giving me that soft, reassuring smile. It didn't work. Furrowing my brows, I lifted my finger from my tea and flicked off the residue, picking my phone.

"M..maybe I should try calling again..?" Beginning to dial, I was stopped as he reached across and gently pushed my phone down, meeting my eyes with his frosty grey.
"You've probably filled their voicemail up already. Everything is going to be fine. Sit back and try to relax."

Easy for you to say...

Sighing in defeat, I let my phone drop and leaned back, placing my hand on my small, barely noticeable baby bump. I couldn't help but worry.
"Want some more mayo and soba?" Natsuo asked, immediately shuddering at the thought. "Ugh, just saying that makes me feel queasy...Cravings really are odd with you, huh?"

Shaking my head, my finger joined the tapping of my foot, and no matter how hard he tried to hold my gaze, it always strayed back to my mobile phone.
"I should go to the agency. What if he forgot? What if-"
"Dad's not that daft. You can't keep stressing like this, (Y/N). It's not good for either of you."

He was right, and I knew that, but I couldn't help it. Despite Endeavor having promised me, I had my doubts. Plenty of them. No matter how much I trusted the pro, there would always be fear.
"No, I really think I should-"

"Pardon the intrusion, it's us." When a familiar voice called out from the entryway, I sprung up, ignoring the slight wave of dizziness as I watched our guest turn into the room.
"Tokoyami! H..hey! You haven't heard anything about..."

I trailed off into an almost violently heavy sigh of relief as the person I wanted to see most rounded the corner after him, windswept blond all over the place and bright, honeyed amber sparkling as our eyes met.

"Mama! Look! Uncle Tokoyami bought me a candy apple!" My daughter beamed, her silver wings twitching with excitement

"Mama! Look! Uncle Tokoyami bought me a candy apple!" My daughter beamed, her silver wings twitching with excitement. Biting my lip, I tried to stop myself, but there was no way. I raced over and nearly tackled her into a hug, squeezing her tightly.

"I was so worried! I'm sorry, but I just expected you home over an hour ago, and when I couldn't reach Poppa Enji I panicked!" Squishing her into my chest, I peppered the top of her head with kisses, and she squirmed around.
"He had to go do hero stuffs, so Uncle Tokoyami and Uncle Shadow picked me up and I really wanted to go see the Yuuei festival!"

Beside me, Dark Shadow warped into existence, nodding along with her in equal excitement.
"Couldn't say no to our favourite niece! Nope! That would be illegal!" It explained, and I felt my concerns begin to slowly ebb away. My little girl pulled back from me and raced around towards the dining table, where Natsuo sat and watched.