TWENTY TWO: A Little...

(+)

I just sat on the cold tiles of Best Jeanist's office bathroom, staring at the fifth plus-sign I had seen that evening. The first one made me start laughing. The second and third had me laughing, but in the way an asylum patient would in the dead of night. The fourth had me pacing in a panic. This one, on the other hand, had me completely catatonic.

"I would offer my congratulations, but something tells me this isn't something you wish to celebrate..." Jeanist murmured as he leant against the wall; having only just re-entered once I hadn't responded to him for about ten minutes. Shaking my head, I couldn't even manage to look up at him.
"I..it's not that I...don't want a kid...It's just...This is fast...Too fast..."

It hadn't even been a year, and already I was engaged to Hawks, and now, by luck; perhaps some cruel joke from above, I was pregnant with his child.

"Hawks is the epitome of fast..." Jeanist sighed; his voice less stern than it usually was. "He's never really known the meaning of slow and steady, but, perhaps this could teach him...You know he's going to be ecstatic..." Of course I knew that, and that was one of the many reasons why I didn't want to tell him. Hawks was protective by nature, and it was obvious that, the moment I told him, he would go into overdrive.

That's...if he's ever even home long enough to have a proper conversation...

"But..." I lifted my head to stare up at the denim-clad hero; (E/C) eyes pooling with tears. "...but wh..what if I suck as a mother..?" His own eyes widened a little as I began to quietly sob on the floor; clutching the fifth and final test against my chest.
"Preposterous. You are going to make an amazing mother, (Y/N). Why ever would you think such stupid thoughts?" Surprisingly, Jeanist approached and knelt down on the floor beside me; risking the expensive material of his suit.

"B..because...I don't know how to do it..! I only ever had Akitsugu growing up! What if I yell at it?! Wh..what if I hurt its feelings?! Wh..what if it hates me..?!" I was quickly losing my mind over every little thought, and I only began to cry harder as I was pulled under the blond's arm.
"No parent is perfect...but I know for a fact that this child will never hate you...Please stop being so absurd...You're scared, that's all. This is a big thing, after all. It's natural..."

B..but...

It was quiet for a while, apart from my sobs, but I finally pulled back from him and stared back down at the positive symbol on the small, plastic stick.
"H..Hawks is barely home anymore...I..I don't know where he goes...but...what if he's..?" I stopped whimpering as I received a firm, yet light chop upon the crown of my head, and I slowly turned my attention back to my older, much wiser friend.

"Did I not just tell you to stop with the absurdities? Hawks may be an idiot, but he's a faithful idiot. I can hardly share words with the guy without him yammering on about how much he loves you. He's the number two hero now, (Y/N)...He's gotten busy, and that just happens sometimes. Things will calm down, I assure you."

"T..Tsunagu..." I sniffled and rubbed the top of my head, even though his little bop hadn't hurt. I was grateful to his man, even though he could be rather blunt and cold at times. His heart was always in the right place, and he really had been a lifesaver over the last few months.

With a slight grunt and wince, he stood back on his feet and offered me his hand.
"Come on...Let's get you cleaned up. I already instructed Ms. Joke to take the students home, so you needn't worry about that. I'll see you back to your apartment."

"Thank you..." I mustered up a weak smile as I took his hand and used it as leverage to pull myself to a stand; the test still held tight in my hot little hand. I placed it carefully on the counter as I turned on the faucet to wash my face when Best Jeanist coughed and caught my eyes in the reflection of the mirror.
"So...are you going to tell him..?"