FORTY: De(ni)mise

***HAWKS POV***

"It's rare for you to come see me like this." Best Jeanist pointed out as he motioned for me to enter the apartment, making sure to watch me as I wiped my boots.
"How are you feeling, man?" I questioned, taking note of his sluggish movements.

It's an off day...

His slippers barely made a sound as he shuffled across the floor, and I focused on everything except him, wondering if the oranges on the counter were real or fake.
"Much better than before, would you believe?" The lanky man chuckled, fussing over his perfectly combed hair.
"Didn't you ask that old broad over at Yuuei for help?" It was a serious question. From what I had heard, she could kiss away major damage. At least, that was what she did for (Y/N).

(Y/N)...I wish she'd just...talk to me...Just seeing her would be enough...

"Unfortunately, she can't recover something that has already been lost." Best Jeanist sighed, turning to look at me. I didn't miss the way he cringed at the sight of my clothing, which was from a brand that he had mentioned having a dislike for. "Even with a missing lung, we humans can continue to live. I'll probably go public with this soon. There are many people awaiting my reformation."

Damn it all...

"I see!" I was positive the smile on my face was as crooked as an ancient gravestone as I slid my largest feather from my left wing, feeling it harden in my hand. "That's quite unfortunate!"

I have no choice...

The phone call I had received from Dabi earlier that day, whilst I was at my apartment, gathering a few spare clothes and praying that (Y/N) would walk through the door, was the reason why I was where I was. I had to provide them with cold, hard proof that I was one of them. Cold, hard, dead proof. Choosing the denim-clad hero was strictly strategic. He had a high rank, a loving fanbase, and he was already technically out of commission. Despite having my head in the game, I just couldn't understand one thing.

Why...isn't he reacting?!

Best Jeanist just stood there, staring at me as usual, not a shred of fear in his gaze.
"You understand what's going on...right?" I asked, twisting my feather in the air for emphasis.
"Of course. You're going to kill me, right? I expected as much." He responded casually, almost causing me to falter.

"H..how the hell was this expected?" My feet remained firmly planted on the ground, and I waited for something. Anything. At least some kind of resistance.
"You texted me, asking if I was on my own, and whether I was expecting any company today. Your eyes also kept flickering towards that dominant feather of yours, along with your fingers twitching towards it. You really aren't as inconspicuous as you believe you are, Keigo."

It doesn't matter...This has to happen...

"It also helped that I had a very detailed conversation with (Y/N) yesterday. She told me what you all but confessed to, so this doesn't really come as much of a surprise. May I take a wild guess as to what your reasoning is?" The blond placed a hand on his hip, and I clicked my tongue to cover the stutter that wanted to rattle my words.
"Tch, sure, why not?" Shrugging my shoulders, I kept my weapon at the ready, just in case this was all a ploy to distract me.

He took a moment to look me up and down, critiquing every inch of me before deciding to make his guess.
"You've found yourself tangled up with villains. Now, I can't say for sure it is something that has been organised by the commission, or if you have decided to take things into your own hands to gather information, but there's a sound reasoning for what you are doing. I can see that, clear as day."