Spices of home

"So where are we going?" Katara asked as Zuko was looking at a map with Durk on his head sleeping easily. It took katara the whole day to accept that the little dragon was not going to leave them, even if she practically begged Zuko into seeing that they couldn't take care of the dragon, extra food and to keep Durk hidden due to how odd it would be to see a dragon roaming around with two strange kids.

Zuko was about to answer but they jumped hearing a firework go off only a mile away and they heard a roar from a crowd cheering.

"Found a village," Zuko said looking ahead as Durk looked up confused.

He jumped down and landed on Kataras shoulder as he curled into her hair.

"Ew ew he has no fur," katara squealed jumping in place as Zuko watched her confused.

"He's a dragon, those are scales," Zuko smiled gently at the dragon.

"Take him back!" She whined looking at him helplessly. Durk purred against her warm hair and snuggled against her warm skin.

"He likes you," Zuko scratched the top of his head with a light chuckle. Katara turned red as she was flustered with the little dragon and huffed walking away as Zuko raised an eye brow.

"What?!" He cried out.

-----

Katara looked around in awe as Durk hid in her long thick hair so no one could see as Zuko walked by her side gazing around with a soft smile.

"I don't think I've seen you smile more than three seconds," katara glanced at him smirking. Zukos smile dropped.

"It's just been a while since I've been to a home festival," Zuko said quietly and katara looked at him sincerely

"We don't have to save the world today, let's just have some fun," she grabbed his hand dragging him down the streets as there where red lanterns with dragon paper dragons with people selling food or hats or even dragon puppets.

"So what's the festival for?" Katara asked looking around and zuko grabbed a few coins seeing there was a stand for fire flakes, his favorite.

"Dragons are the masters of fire, we just have celebrations for our masters before they all went instinct," Zuko explained as he got in line and katara followed confused.

"What are you buying? We can't just spend money," katara said seeing it was for fire flakes.

"Sorry but rice is a little plain, we can get the best seasonings here but fire flakes are the best snacks," Zuko explained and bought a bag, the man gave him a bag that fit in his hand and zuko ate some.

Was a he a warrior of the blue spirit and a dangerous firebender? Yes. Did he cry a little at the taste of home? Absolutely. On the inside at least.

"Isn't that like incredibly spicy?" Katara raised an eye brow and zuko fed one to Durk and the dragon coughed at the heated food with some fire escaping.

"Not really, but spicy food is what we really only make, being on sea for three years, no one really makes the same kind of spice except merchants that sell everything, but even then it's just earth kingdom spices, mostly herbs," he offered her some. Katara took a small handful and popped some in her mouth.

She let out a cough and covered her mouth with tears in her eyes. She started to fan her mouth with a cry as she looked at Zuko with wide eyes.

"To hot to hot, oh my spirits Zuko how can you eat that?" Katara gasped as she waved at her mouth and zuko snorted.

"I was raised by spices, it's not even that spicy, pepper jerky is good too," Zuko ate a handful shrugging.

"Oh what's that?" Katara gasped tugging on his sleeve pointing at a stage.

"Probably a play," he rolled his eyes but yelped when Katara yanked him to the stage intrigued as she clasped her hands together with stars in her eyes.

"I've never seen a play before, last time I went to a fire festival it had a guy firebending a dragon," katara whispered excitedly.

"Then again we got caught cause I was on stage and Aang thought I was in trouble but it was all an act I guess," she shrugged and zuko raised an eye brow at her.

"My mom always dragged me and my sisters to plays, she loves them," Zuko crossed his arms and looked up seeing the show starting. "They suck,"

Kataras smile slowly fell looking back at the stage. Zuko noticed her enthusiasm was gone and pursed his lips.

"But my favorite one is about this spirit falling in love with a mortal village girl, or there's been plays about earth benders, Oma and Shu," Zuko mumbled slightly embarrassed.

"Lot of love storys," katara giggled a little seeing he was trying.

"My mother was way into those, I liked them cause sometimes it's just be us," Zuko let a smile pass and she smiled at him nodding.

"My moms the one that taught us how to penguin sled, gave my dad a heart attack," katara nudged.

"Penguin sledding?" Zuko asked confused.

"I'll show you one day," she smiled and soon the play begun.

"Shh it's starting," katara grabbed his arm excitedly as Zukos arms stayed crossed but allowed her to hold onto his biceps while Kataras eyes where glued to the short play about to happen. He relaxed and looked at the actors that came out and music that followed. His eyes widen in horror seeing it was about princess and the turtle duck.

"Oh no..." He grumbled.