Forgiven destiny

"Aang," Zuko walked up to him later that night as everyone was heading to bed.

Aang felt his heart speed up as he thought Zuko was going to try hurting him or something, but his frown seemed difference somehow, it was angry but it seemed more guilty as he stopped a few feet from him.

"I'm sorry about before, I know I said I'd leave tonight but I can't," he told the avatar and Aang looked at him but looked down.

"I know, I didn't know Katara was going to be so upset, she never cries accept for when she's really upset about something, I never wanted to hurt her like that," Aang gulped as the two stood near the fire.

"That's something we can relate to, Katara is both our friend," Zuko nodded.

"Then what can we do?" Aang asked softly crossing his arms.

"I know I've made a lot of mistakes, I regret a lot of them, my excuses aren't to justify myself, it was wrong of me, but I was given a second chance for a reason..." Zuko looked down as Aang looked at him confused.

"I know my destiny is to help you restore balance to the world," he said seriously as Aang stared at him but his grey eyes softened.

"I think you are suppose to be my fire bending teacher..." Aang nodded.

"Really?" Zuko looked up at him surprised.

"Yes... But this is your only chance, I don't want to see anyone I love hurt ever again," Aang purse his lips.

"I won't let you down, we can start tomorrow," Zuko smiled softly and Aang walked away without saying another word.

Zuko inhaled softly relieved and went to go back to his room.

He stopped in the door way of his room as he saw katara playing with Durk and Momo as they where chasing a ring of water in the air. He knocked on the door.

"Hope I'm not interrupting," Zuko said calmly as Katara smiled at him.

"Well just a little," she sat back crossing her legs.

"Aangs going to let me teach him fire bending," Zuko sat on the bed as Katara sat on her knees on the floor as she crossed her arms over the bed looking up at him.

"Really? That's great!" She gasped happily.

"I think I might actually get him to trust me," Zuko smiled softly looking at the ground.

"You've changed," Katara got on the bed and wrapped her arms around his shoulders as Zuko kept his hands in his lap.

"We all see it," she touched his cheek to turn his face to her as her fingers skimmed his scar kindly. Zuko smiled a little back.

"We should get to sleep," Zuko brushed her hair behind her ear and Katara nodded getting up.

"Zuko," she stopped at the door way looking at him.

"I..." Katara gulped as she pursed her lips. Zuko tilted his head to the side confused as she paused.

"I'm happy for you," she sighed walking out to her room.

——

"I know your nervous but you have to remember, fire bending in and of itself is not something to fear," Zuko stood across from Aang as they stood out in the open on the upside down roof of the temple.

"Okay... not something to fear," Aang sighed softly to himself.

"But if you don't respect it, it'll chew you up and spit you out like an angry Komodo rhino!" Zuko raised his voice a little making Aang step back fearful with a small cry.