The sun warriors: pt. 2

The two walked through the ruins of the old civilization as it looked abandoned, but it was still amazing architecture.

"These buildings are really familiar, I can tell the fire sages temples are some how descended from these," Zuko looked around as Aang walked ahead curiously.

"We learned something about architecture so hopefully we can learn something about fire bending, the past can be a great teacher," Aang smiled brightly but gasped when he tripped over a wire and fell forward. It was a trap as spikes emerged from the ground, Aang blew a deep breath and pushed his body to the other side of the trap.

"Zuko I think the pass is trying to kill me!" Aang cried out wide eyes.

"I can't believe it, this booby trap must be centuries old and it still works," Zuko grabbed them rope that tripped Aang.

"There's probably a lot more, maybe this means we shouldn't be here," Aang held his glider to his chest anxiously.

Zuko took a few steps back and ran along the wall, he jumped and landed next to Aang brushing dust off him.

"Where's that upbeat attitude?" Zuko teased a little.

"Besides, people don't make traps unless they have something worth protecting," he looked at the temple in the center that must be holding answers.

——

And walked behind Zuko as he took strong strides up the stairs, Aang was slightly dying by how many there were but tried to hide it seeing Zuko was unfazed.

"So how come you let Katara come with you?" Aang asked trying to get ride of the silence but instead he wheezed slightly.

"She found me at the factory," Zuko answered without looking at him.

"I mean you two probably could've came back to the group," Aang pursed his lips and Zuko looked at him unamused.

"You wouldn't have accepted me to your group, and I don't regret how things turned out, I think it was for the better," Zuko explained to him calmly and Aang gulped slightly remembering how he didn't trust Zuko when he came back from prison... he had a point.

"So then you like Katara?" He asked and Zuko sighed closing his eyes.

"I know everyone thinks we're together but don't worry, we're not, she's my best friend, I trust her with my life," Zuko told him but it hurt to lie.

"You don't like her that way?" Aang blinked surprised.

"No? Why? Do you?" He asked but regretted saying it seeing aangs face heat up. Fuck.

"Course I do, she's amazing and beautiful and I feel like we were made to be together, we've always found our way to each other," Aang beamed brightly at him as Zuko pursed his lips.

"Have you considered her feelings?" Zuko asked.

"What?" Aang gulped.

"I don't know, Katara is complicated," Zuko blushed looking away.

"Not really, she's really kind and always looks out for me," he offered a smile up at him but Zuko shook his head a little.

"Do you believe in love at first sight?" Aang asked curiously.

"No,"

"Really? I think I do, when I first met Katara I just knew I loved her," he shrugged smiling.

Zuko clicked his tongue shaking his head walking up the stairs. It wasn't his choice to break it to Aang about Kataras feelings, that she felt more like a mother hen or big sister to everyone. He couldn't tell Aang that he was already in love with Katara, that she's always on his mind and how he always wanted to see her smile, make her happy. It's probably the same way Aang felt about her too...