Red string

At dawn the two kept moving. Zuko carried katara on his back as she was exhausted of the battle mentally and physically. They got as far away from that town as fast as they possibly could, to avoid questions from the townsfolk or even seeing Hama again. The way that old woman wanted to hurt them so bad was unexplainable.

Zuko kept a straight face as he saw they where coming close to the next town but dropped his bag on the ground and tapped Kataras thigh to wake her up. She moaned softly waking up as she rubbed her eyes and lifted her head.

"Everything okay?" She asked getting down from him as Durk was wrapped around her bicep as he looked around.

"There's a town up ahead, I just need some water and we can head in," he reached into his bag and katara nodded softly rubbing her arms.

"Are you feeling any better?" Zuko asked after taking a long drink to help his dry throat.

"I'm fine," she gulped and touched her throat where it felt stuff but looked up at Zukos neck seeing the small wound on his neck was basically a scab and the cut on her cheek was dry blood.

"Zuko does your cheek hurt?" She asked curiously as Zuko took another gulp of water but raised an eye brow at her.

"Why do you ask?" Zuko wondered.

"By the way you answered, it's a yes, cause I think I feel the pain from your neck on mine," katara bit the inside of her bottom lip sitting down and stroked Durk.

"Think it has anything to do with... Her?" Zuko was hesitant on the name but katara nodded.

"One of the prisoners I freed said something about her being a witch, and she kept saying stuff about the spirits, how we've both been touched by them," Zuko explained making katara look up at him.

"But you where brought back by them, closest I've been with the spirits is yue," katara frowned.

"Your a healer... Could the spirits have been apart of that?" He guessed.

"Well... I don't know?" Katara sighed laying on the ground next to Zuko as he looked at her unamused.

"If anything that would be the ocean spirit, we draw our bending from the moon but you can't have one without the other," she nodded looking at Zukos gold eyes.

"Yea if I go asking roku I'm sure he wouldn't be to much help," Zuko scoffed dryly.

"Roku? Like avatar roku? What do you mean asking?" Katara sat up quickly.

"I went to try talking with spirits to help the town yesterday, but roku was the only one that answered and he..." Zuko trailed off looking down. "Didn't give me the answers I thought I'd get but he was right on why he didn't recognize the spirit of that forest,"

"Did something happen?" She asked gently.

"No,"

"Zuko," katara knew he was lying when he didn't look at her.

"I found out avatar roku is a past relative of mine," he narrowed his eyes.

"Like what?" She asked concerned.

"He's my great great grandfather..." He sighed.

"Is that a bad thing?" She smiled. That's not the worst news that they've had in a while.

"I guess not but it's confusing, I'm related to the man who started this war and the avatar that existed during the beginning of it, could've even stopped it, but I guess that side of my families just always a mystery," he sighed shaking his head.