Forgiven

The next few days where difficult in defeat but they got back on their feet to find Aang a fire bending teacher to continue looking a way to defeat the fire lord. Katara made tea (picking up a thing or two from Zuko) for everyone as she poured cups for each of them.

"Since when did you make tea?" Aang asked confused but gladly took a cup with a sip.

"I've only picked up the basics," katara shrugged as she made her way around the circle. "You'd be surprised what people have to offer," she smiled.

"What else did you learn?" Haru asked as he took a cup.

"I met this southern water bender and she taught me some new water bending techniques," katara stopped for a second as she caught Sokka's eyes when he heard their tribe.

"A southern water bender?" Sokka sat up straighter.

"She's... Not what I expected, I rather not talk about it," she sighed but smiled handing Toph the cup of tea as she finally made it to her brother.

"Hey can I talk to you?" Sokka asked looking up at his sister. She nodded following him away from the group.

"You traveled the fire nation right? You talked to people a lot," Sokka asked crossing his arms and katara sent Toph a glare for spilling her traveling around the fire nation. How much did she tell?

"Yea I guess," she shrugged. "What's up?"

"If someone was captured by the fire nation? Where would they take them?" Sokka asked her and Kataras eyes widen.

"Your talking about the troops from the invasion," she pursed her lips.

"I'm talking about dad," Sokka nodded.

"I can't tell you, it's not good," katara closed her eyes about to turn away but Sokka grabbed her shoulder.

"Katara please, it's dad," Sokka said with a stern look.

"My guess is the boiling rock," katara gulped. "It's the highest security fire nation prison... It's in the middle of a boiling lake volcano,"

"So where is this place?" Sokka asked crossing his arms and her head snapped up at him.

"Why do you need to know?" She narrowed her eyes. "Your not going are you?"

"No no, I just need to feel more at ease, I want to know what I'm putting him through," Sokka looked away like a sad puppy but katara saw right through him.

"Sokka. It's in. The. Middle. Of. A. Volcano." Katara snapped. "Between here and the fire nation."

"Your so paranoid," Sokka waved her off.

"We flew past it on our way here, I studied it on the map one night," katara glared and noticed how Sokka perked up. He stretched his arms with a yawn smiling.

"Thanks sis, knowing just makes me feel better," Sokka patted the top of her head as he walked past her.

Katara was about to comment at him but gasped feeling a cut on her arm and something hot crashing into her chest and forearms. Like blocking fire.

"Zuko..." She whispered with a painful gulp as appa looked at her.

She grabbed her head feeling a giant migraine coming along but kept walking but fell to a knee when it felt like a hard kick in her ribs.

"Dammit," she hissed getting up before anyone noticed. "I'm sorry Zuko,"

---------

That night Sokka tipped toed through and over everyone who slept peacefully. He smiled at his success but gasped just as he almost stepped on momo, he quietly walked over the lemur and went to appa. He quietly climbed up the large bison but just as he made it up to the saddle suddenly a little dragon jumped at his face and Sokka fell back.

"Not up to anything huh?" Katara smirked leaning against appa's leg seeing her brother on the ground in daze but he cried out as Durk flew back to katara and chirped at Sokka playfully.

"Wha-what the fuck is that?" Sokka whispered screamed at his sister seeing the dragon.

"This is Durk, Durk is a dragon, he's friendly as long as you feed him and I am his mother until his actual owner comes back otherwise Durk stays, and careful feeding him fire flakes," katara said simply as he got to his feet grumbling about stupid snakes with feet.

"Where the hell do you find dragons?" He sighed annoyed as Durk laid across Kataras shoulders.

"After sacrificing a humans heart in the fires of hell; I don't know, they come from eggs," katara waved him off.

"Why'd you lie to me?" She asked putting her hands on her hips glaring at Sokka.

"Fine you caught me, I'm rescuing dad, happy?" Sokka grabbed he things he packed.

"No! I'm not happy, you lied and where going to go alone," katara punched his arm.

"Katara I have to do this, the invasion plan was my idea, it was my decision to stay when things were going wrong, it's my mistake... And it's my job to fix it," he sighed putting his bag over his shoulder with his sword.

"I have to regain my honor,"

"You want to regain your honor? I know how it feels to feel so defeated but sometimes you can't just go out swords blazing," katara scowled.

"You know how it feels? Like when you left us you felt so defeated?" Sokka turned to her pointing his finger at her but katara glared at him and slapped his finger away.

"Then I'm going with you," she told him sternly.

"No," Sokka went to go up on appa but she yanked him down.

"Yes," she growled with rage in her eyes. "I've let him down already and everyone else including you, let me regain your trust Sokka,"

Sokka looked at her surprised as she had hurt and anger in her eyes.

"... Okay... Tell me where the prison is, you said you studied the map," he nodded pursing his lips and climbed up offering katara a hand and she took it.

"It's on an island,"

--------

Katara sat on appa's head looking at her wrist deep in thought. Never give up without a fight.

"Is that a tattoo?" Sokka looked over her shoulder with wide eyes and katara covered it quickly with wide eyes.

"No!" She lied and cussed at herself for how stupid she looked now.

"When did you get a tattoo?!" Sokka grabbed her wrist and saw the sun on her finger and pulled off her wrist guards.

"I-it was for my birthday, my friend and I got a tattoo, he choose mine and I choose his, happy?" Katara snapped.

"He?!"

"Yes. He." Katara pulled her wrist back.

"Is he your boyfriend~" Sokka teased and she turned red with wide eyes in horror.

"No! You and Toph are friends but not your girlfriend, me and my guy friend can just be friends, he's my partner," katara hissed crossing her arms and pouted.

"So you have a crush on him," Sokka smiled and katara growled.

"What was his tattoo then? Did you make him get something stupid and girly? Like a flower?" Sokka laughed and Katara looked at him unamused.

"No, I got him a saying, dignified, humble, and honored, and a moon on his finger," katara smirked back.

"So he's a fire bender I'm guessing," Sokka raised an eye brow.

"I rise with the moon he rises with the sun... Fucking always up at dawn," katara mumbled and Sokka laughed.

"Is he who you ran away with?" He asked softly and katara looked at her brother gently.

"I never planned on running away, I met him and we made a good team, we saved that village on the river from dying, we wanted to make a difference not just to the world but to those who need to see to believe, we kinda became renegaded spirits," katara laughed nervously and Sokka looked at her but smiled.

"That's actually really cool of you sis, I'm still upset but I'm also proud," he nodded and katara smiled back glad he didn't push the topic forward.