The western airtemple

Under the beating hot sun, everyone walked on foot to the western air temple Aang suggested to be safe for a while. They all had their heads down in shame and in dread of what condition their loved ones could be in after being surrendered.

Katara glanced down at her bag as Durk peaked out but she shushed him and put him back in the bag but she kept her hand in for a moment to comfort the dragon as he purred against her touch.

She sighed looking back at her friends as she looked at Aang then Sokka who had his head down and wolf helmet still on. They both probably felt the most defeated.

"This is humiliating," katara sighed as she walked near Sokka.

"Do you mean getting thoroughly ass kicked by fire nation or having to walk all the way to the western air temple?" Sokka looked at her.

"Both," she looked back down crossing her arms.

"Everything's going to be better after tomorrow,"

"Let's wait a little longer... After the eclipse?"

Katara closed her eyes as her heart pounded while she took a deep breath quietly trying to contain herself. She couldn't break down, she never has before in front of them, it was another defeat but loosing Zuko... Like that... It was painful.

"Sorry guys but appa gets tired carrying all these people," Aang smiled patting his bison.

"Katara," Sokka called her over. "Where have you been? You left us with barely a note, I was to worried about you," he said gently with worry in his eyes.

"It's hard to explain," katara sighed looking at him but suddenly felt a sharp pain in her stomach as the air was knocked out of her and she fell to the ground with a cry.

"Katara!" Aang ran to her side. She gasped when she felt something slick and sharp whip against her shoulder and again with what she imagined a whip around her forearm.

'Zuko what are you doing?! Where are you?!' She screamed in her head as she held her stomach in pain gasping for air feeling the bruises Zuko must've been receiving.

"Katara what happened? Are you okay?" Aang helped her up as Sokka had wide eyes. She grunted but the sound of a whip cracking echoed in her ears and a agonizing pain licked down her back with a snap.

"No!" She gasped looking up with wide eyes and cried out feeling the whip crack down on Zukos back two more times.

She felt it. She felt the pain of Zuko. The red string connected them including the pain of the other until death. She'll feel the pain until death and he'll feel hers.

"I-I'm sorry..." She covered her mouth closing her eyes. Her breath hitched feeling the back of her head pounding like her head hit a wall.

'Someone's hurting him...'

Katara inhaled deeply as she didn't let the tears fall from the pain, she didn't know which was worst. The pain or that Zuko was the one receiving the true wounds.

"I'm fine," she whispered standing up but flinched feeling her stomach getting kicked again then it all went away. He must've lost consciousness.

Toph looked in her direction and katara could tell she knew that was a lie. But she stayed silent. The blind girl took a step forward and gasped.

"Hey we're here," toph said surprised and everyone looked around confused at the empty plains of grass and flat land.

"Um toph... Your feets eyes might need checking," katara gulped ignoring Sokka's worried look at her but he shrugged seeing nothing there.

"No, she's right, we are here," Aang beamed bright.

-------

Katara slipped some fire flakes to Durk with a small smile as they all got their own rooms in the air temple.

"Don't worry Durk, well get him back," she sighed as he ate a pile of fire flakes on the bed and scratched his head while he purred with a small whine.

"Yea I miss that hot head too," katara smiled sadly at the little dragon as he purred and nipped at her finger playfully. She laughed lightly and stroked down his back as he continued to eat the fire flakes.

"What else do you eat?" She wondered at the little red dragon and he made a small bleach with fire and she laughed at him again.

"Fire flakes really do make fire I guess," katara offered her arm to him and Durk flew up to her shoulder and hid behind her neck in her hair as he had to hide. Katara pursed her lips with a small smile knowing her friends would question her more if they found out about Durk.

"I'm not going to even ask," a voice said behind her and katara squeaked in surprise only to see toph.

"A-about what?!" Katara cried out not regaining her cool.

"The dragon, but I do have to ask what the hell happened before?" Toph crossed her arms and katara nervously began to unpack trying to stop her nervous shaking. She knew.

"Just some cramps, you know?" Katara put her mask under her pillow of being the painted lady but found Zukos mothers painting from the fire nation palace. Ursa.

She slowly set it on her night stand.

"Katara you don't have to lie to me, but whatever happened before scared you for a lot of reasons," tophs face softened leaning against the wall and Katara looked up at her but let Durk crawl out and she sat on the bed. Toph joined her and Durk curiously sniffed her.

"What's his name?" Toph smiled when the dragon nudged against her for attention.

"Durk," katara smiled.

"Durk?" Toph made a face.

"Wasn't my choice, he attacked our camp cause he couldn't hunt on his own with a broken wing," katara laughed at him touching his wing lightly as he purred.

"So you ran away with someone?" Toph asked softly and katara paused.

"Yea," she sighed in defeat.

"Was it worth it?" Toph asked again.

"Yes... Because I got to do things that didn't just make a difference to the world but to individuals, and I got a friend," katara blushed softly looking down at her lap.

"Where are they?" Toph raised a brow.

"He was captured... We where there at the invasion and we got caught, he saved my life," katara closed her eyes remembering his scream before he was forced to be silenced.

"And he's in danger, he's getting hurt and I can't do a damn thing about it, I can feel everytime he's hurt... A witch cursed us to feel each other's pain, now I understand why it's a curse now," Kataras throat closed up as she let out a deep breath.

"Do we know him?" She looked down sadly.

"In a way," the brunette shrugged but Toph could feel it was a yes.

"Come on, we need the sugar queen we know and love to smack some sense into twinkle toes to think of the next step," Toph clapped her hands together as she got up and went to the door.

"Oh and katara... We missed you a lot, and we'll get your buddy back," she kept her back to katara stopping at the door way.