Pinkys

"Thanks for letting us stay here tonight, you have a lovely inn," katara smiled as Hama sat at the head of the table and zuko poured he two women the tea he offered to make as a thank you. Hama kindly sipped the tea and hummed in delight.

"Your sweet, and this tea is amazing," Hama looked at the two as katara smiled kindly and zuko sat down calmly grabbing his own cup of tea.

"You mentioned people have been disappearing in the woods lately, can I ask how?" Zuko asked calmly as he kept his eyes down.

"When the moon turns full, people walk in and never come out..." Hama looked down and Zukos eyes darted to katara confused as she seemed a little concerned as well returning the glance at Zuko.

"Is it spirits?" Katara whispered worried. Hama glanced at her.

"May I have more tea?" Hama smiled at Zuko holding up her cup. Neither of the teens moved as katara seemed a little scared and zuko didn't trust her. But his emotionless expression didn't show the old woman that.

"Don't worry, you'll be completely safe here," Hama calmed them. "Why don't I show you to your rooms, you can get a good night sleep,"

--------

Zuko sat in his room as he laid on his side looking at the window while Durk curled up to him whimpering at the sounds of achy wooden creaks along the house.

Zuko heard a loud one that seemed right behind him. He bolted up and held up a palm full of fire to see only to see katara with her hair all down and her hands clasped in front of her.

"Kat? What are you doing?" Zuko rubbed his face putting down his fire. He scooted over for her to sit and katara sat quietly next to him.

"I couldn't sleep, it's been so long since I've been in a bed," katara laughed quietly and zuko noticed something else was bothering her.

"Copper piece for your thoughts?" Zuko asked pursing his lips and katara put her head down.

"Sorry, a lot is on my mind, I don't have enough copper pieces..." She mumbled.

"I guess I could let it slide... Wanna talk about it?" Zuko asked seriously and she shrugged.

"Why do you always put yourself in front of me, like for attacks? When I get in some sort of fight? You stand in front of me or take the hit... Why?" Katara looked at him and zuko sat up a little straighter.

"I don't know..." Zuko mumbled now.

"Is that another phrase for you don't want to tell me?" She asked gently. He shrugged.

"Why are you suddenly thinking about that now?" Zuko questioned but he didn't notice the light blush across her face.

"Because, I don't know, maybe cause I feel alone without you? Maybe, it's stupid I know, we're finally friends and now I just feel unsafe and like I should cause I know I can handle myself," katara started to ramble and huffed.

"I know you can," Zuko smiled just a little.

"But it's just like... I trust you with my life now and it terrifies me of it because, I don't want to loose you, part of me thinks if we find Aang you might take him and I know your not like that but the other part of me doesn't want you to get hurt and I can't heal you fast enough and I might loose you a whole different way, I don't know which is worst," she buried her face in her hands shaking her head.

Zuko looked at her and the corner of his mouth twitched a little into a smile. She cared, she cared about him.

"I protect you like that is because I trust you, I trust you'll be there to heal me so I can do it again, and I don't really mind, we're partners kat, I have your back and I know you have mine," Zuko nodded as she peaked at him.

"What if one day I'm not fast enough?" she whispered.

"It won't happen, I know you, you don't give up, not on people that need you," he smirked at her own words she's stared and katara covered her mouth and laughed at him. She wrapped her arms around his arm and leaned against his shoulder with a sigh. Zuko sat there stiff not knowing what to do.

"Your not use to human phycal contact are you?" She teased not looking at him.

"Not really, not like this," Zuko said slowly.

"Do you want me to stop?" She said in a quieter voice. It was soft and sweet with concern.

"No... I don't mind it," he whispered back and they saw Durk squeak at them and curled up on Kataras lap.

"Maybe he's not so bad," katara pet him gently and Zuko smiled at her as she focused on the dragon not seeing Zukos gaze was on her.

"You can take him with you if you don't feel safe," Zuko offered and katara shrugged.

"D-do you think I could just stay with you?" Katara asked embarrassed.

"I don't want to make you uncomfortable," Zuko turned red looking away.

"No... I just feel uncomfortable when your not around, I'm just use to you I guess," she snorted and zuko rolled his eyes.

"Didn't know a master water bender would need a firebender to protect her," Zuko teased but made a small sound of pain when she elbowed him in the chest.

"I can still kick your ass stupid," katara snapped.

"Here, I'll scoot kat," Zuko smirked at her and went on the other side of the bed so she could have more space. They both laid down as katara laid on her side facing Zuko but he rolled onto his stomach and put his crossed arms under the pillow.

"Hey Zuko?" Katara whispered as they fell into silence.

"Yea kat?" He mumbled looking at her as he rolled onto his side as well.

"I'm sorry," she looked at him with sad blue eyes.

"Why?" He asked concerned.

"Because, you getting... Killed... By Azula was my fault," she looked down and Durk flew over her shoulder and rubbed his face against Zukos nose.

"What do you mean? You weren't there, you had Aang, he would've died and stayed that way," Zuko told her.

"I saw you before... At the tea shop, with your uncle, I saw you there actually happy... But I got scared thinking you where there to take Aang again so I ran to find help and since I was just me in the city, I went to the kyoshi warriors who I thought was my friend suki... I was Azula and those girls... I told them Zuko, I'm sorry," she closed her eyes trying not to cry but Zuko grabbed her hand gently and held it tight until she opened her eyes.

"My uncle says everything happens for a reason... I guess he was right after all," he said and Kataras eyes where red from the stinging of trying not to cry.

"You really have changed," she sniffled.

"I didn't want to be like who I was before," he nodded and katara let out a small relieved breath.

"Thank you Zuko, good night," she squeezed his hand gently and she hooked her slim pinky with his trying not to laugh at their hand size difference but Zuko didn't fight her.

"Night kat," he rasped and fell asleep with his pinky hooked with Kataras as she slowly fell asleep as well.