Allied Destiny

Dawn rose as Zuko didn't sleep that night, afraid his uncle would wake up any minute until the sun came up again.

He tensed hearing his uncles snore stop and the old man sat with a large stretched, he glanced back seeing his nephew but kept his back to him with a calm face. Zukos has quivered a little with his uncle not daring to look back at him, tears already forming in fear.

"Uncle?" He forced himself to speak.

"I know you have mixed feelings about seeing me, but I want you to know I am so so sorry uncle," a tear already ran down his face as it started to hurt more and more to speak. Flash backs of everything he's done, how afraid he's been with his uncle gone, the prison when he sobbed alone after the first whipping session, wishing his uncle was there to care for him. Wishing he could beg for someone to care, but there was no one.

"I am so sorry and ashamed of what I did, I am so sorry for taking advantage of your kindness and wisdom, I don't know how I can ever make it up to you but-" he was cut off by his uncle pulling him into his arms as Zuko choked on a sob when his nose was pressed against his uncles shoulder. His body trembled against the old mans.

"How can you forgive me so easily?" Zuko rasped with wide eyes. "I thought you would be furious,"

"I was never angry, I grieved, and I was sad when I thought you lost your way," iroh held him close. Zuko closed his eyes and hugged his uncle back.

"I did lose my way," Zuko whimpered.

"And you found it again," iroh let him go to face him, to look his boy in the eyes with a smile.

"And you did it by yourself, you honored the blue spirit, I can see it," he smiled gently as he held onto zukos shoulders and gripped them tightly.

"I am so happy you found your way here, I'm so proud," he pulled his nephew back into a hug as Zuko leaned against him full of relief.

"It wasn't that hard uncle, you have a pretty strong scent,"

——

"Uncle your the only person other than the avatar that can possibly defeat the father lord," Zuko told him as they gathered in a circle for breakfast as he sat next to Toph and iroh.

"You mean the fire lord," Toph corrected.

"That's what I said!"

"We need you to come with us," he looked at his uncle.

"No zuko, it won't turn out well," iroh sighed calmly as he ate his meal.

"You can beat him, and we'll be there to help," Zuko motioned to the others.

"Even if I did defeat Ozai, and I don't know that I could, it would be the wrong way to end the war, history will see it as just more senseless violence... a brother killing a brother to grab power," iroh explained to him as he knew his family, his nation, he knew no one would see it as peace.

"The only way to end this war peacefully is for the avatar to defeat the fire lord," he nodded calmly.

"And then would you come and take your rightful place on the throne?" Zuko asked.

"No, someone new must take the throne, an idealist with a pure heart," iroh looked at him.

"It has to be you prince Zuko,"

"unquestionable honor? But I've made so many mistakes, I'm suppose to be dead ," Zuko didn't understand.

"You have made mistakes, you've struggled, you suffered, but you have always followed your own path, you restored your own honor, and only you can restore the honor of the fire nation," iroh told him seriously as Zuko let it set in his mind of the idea. It was one thing to go home again, but to be the fire lord of a nation he thought he shamed...

"I'll try uncle," he nodded, accepting.

"Fire lord Zuko, it has a nice ring," Katara smirked at him and Zuko smiled back a little.

"Well what if Aang doesn't come back?" Toph asked softly.

"Sozins comet is arriving, and our destinies are upon us, Aang will face the fire lord," iroh nodded determined.

"When I was a boy I had a vision that I would one day take ba sing se, only now do I see that my destiny is to take it back from the fire nation, so the earth kingdom can be free again,"

"That's why you gathered the members of the white lotus," Suki smiled at him.

"Yes.. Zuko you must return to the fire nation so that when the fire lord falls you can assume the throne so that you can restore peace and order, but azula will be there waiting for you," iroh looked at the prince as zukos eyes narrowed at the name of his sister.

"I can handle azula," he scowled a little.

"Not alone,"

"You'll need help," iroh said sternly remembering the last time.

"You're right... Kat, how would you like to help me out azula in her place?" Zuko looked at his girlfriend across from him.

"It would be my pleasure," Katara smiled back nodding. It wasn't bias on his feelings, they've been a team, they'll always be a time, he couldn't do it without her.

"What about us?" Sokka asked. "What's our destiny today?"

"What do you think it is?" Iroh asked taking a bite of breakfast.

"I think that.. even though we don't know where Aang is we need to do everything we can to stop the airship fleet," Sokka nodded as he was ready for a battle.

"And that means when Aang does face the fire lord we'll be right there if he needs us," Toph put her fist in her palm smirking.

Iroh nodded in approval.

Piandao put Suki and Toph on one of the animals they prepared for the children as Sokka was in front of him.

"Nothing runs faster on land or swims quicker than a giant eel hound," piandao told Sokka as they were ready for the future, sword on his back and water tribe wolf helmet on his head.

"The airship vase is on a small island just off the earth kingdom shore, you should be able to intercept the fleet within the day's journey," piandao handed Sokka a map for the boy to look for them.

"Thank you master," Sokka smiled up at him and bowed to each other. He got on the eel hound as Toph was between him and Suki for safety.

"So if I'm gonna be fire lord after the wars over... what are you gonna do?" Zuko asked as he sat on appas head with Katara next to him.

"After I reconquer ba sing se I'm gonna reconquer my tea shop and play pai sho every day," iroh laughed as he held a pai sho white lotus tile in his hands. Zuko smiled at his uncle, it suited the man.

He and Katara looked at Suki and Sokka with Toph, they nodded with trust within each one of them to do everything they can. To lay their lives down for the world, to stop this war at the end of the day. Tomorrow, everything changes.

Katara smiled holding onto zukos arm as he looked at her, they nodded to get going before they run out of time.

"Good bye general iroh," Katara smiled down at the man.

"Good bye everyone, today destiny is our friend," he smiled back hopeful.

"See you guys tomorrow," Sokka smiled at his sister and his friend. Katara smiled at her brother as she tightened her arms around zukos. That was better than good bye.

"Yip yip," Katara called for them to take flight as the other three went off in the other direction.