Prologue

**This is my fan-fiction story based on characters from the show Torchwood. I do not own the names of the characters, except a few, and I do not of course own or the story of Torchwood. I just used the names and some of the storyline for my fan-fiction story. I hope you enjoy. Please feel free to leave comments. Also, this is my very first story ever. I thought I'd give it a try.**

My name is Charlotte and this is the story of how I found out about Torchwood and how I met an immortal man named Jack. Sorry, Captain Jack Harkness. He has to have the Captain in front of his name. I'll give a little back-story so you know how things all started and some things may make a little more sense to you.

See, I have lived with my grandfather since I was five years old. My grandparents are originally from London. They had two daughters. One of them is my mother. She decided to go to the states when she turned eighteen. She had always wanted to go and see all fifty states. So, when she did go, she got to travel all fifty states. Out of all the fifty states she visited, she decided she liked Oklahoma the best and decided to stay. Of course, she did stay in touch with her family.  A few years later while she at work, she met and fell in love with a man (my father). They got married and had me. I am an only child, which can suck sometimes. I knew both sides of my parent's family since they stayed in touch with their family. It was always nice knowing a lot of family and knowing that I am half British.

One day, my parents got into a car accident and they died right away. I was at school when it happened. My mom's parents got custody of me and they moved me to London where they lived. My grandmother passed away ten years later. My grandfather has always worked for the government and they decided to transfer him to Cardiff. He works on top-secret things and they wanted him to keep an eye on some of their top-secret projects in Cardiff. When I turned eighteen, I got a job at a nightclub/bar. Grandfather was not too happy about that, but I managed to talk him into letting me work there.

One day I got really bored. I hadn't worked in a few days and my grandfather was always busy with work. Grandfather had to go out and take care of a few things, so I took the opportunity to look through his things. I didn't find much, so I decided I would hack his computer using mine. I didn't want him to know that I was on his actual computer in case he came home while I was searching his things.  While going through his computer, I came across Torchwood. I wasn't too surprised when I found out what Torchwood was for. I always knew about aliens, but didn't really get into like other people do. I also found a lot of other top secret programs that sound really bad. They do all kinds of experiments and stuff. I decided to save all of my grandfather's files to my computer so I could look at them later and do more reading on Torchwood and its team members.  If you are wondering, I am good at hacking. I learned how to hack into things from my best friend's brother, Derek. I met them a few months after I was moved to London. Even though my grandfather moved us to Cardiff, I still keep in touch with my best friend Emera and her brother Derek. He is a sweet guy, but I wasn't into him like that. I consider him family. I always tell them they are the siblings I never had.

So, moving on. I called Emera and Derek and told them that I had to talk to them. I wanted to tell them about all that I had found out about Torchwood. Derek never believed that aliens existed and I was about to prove him wrong. We all agreed that we would meet up at a café in Cardiff. They were already on their way to come see me. It would be best to go somewhere where my grandfather couldn't hear us talk. I had been waiting at the café for a good twenty minutes when I heard a familiar voice say, "Oi! I think your boobs are bigger than mine. Stop getting prettier and bigger boobs than me." Oh dear, here we go again. Emera can't get over the fact that I matured quicker than her and that my boobs have always been bigger than hers. She's always talking about it. It gets annoying VERY quickly. "Can we please talk about something else ladies?" Derek asks.  Poor guy. I know he's always had a thing for me, but I don't feel the same way. Thankfully he's a sweetie and doesn't bother me about it. We get our tea and sit down at a table that's in the back away from everyone else. I start telling them about how bored I got and how, thanks to Derek teaching me, I hacked into my grandfather's computer. I found files about Torchwood. I told them that there is more than one Torchwood.